Acura World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll tell you right now, if this shit happens to me, I'm trading in the CL for a 300M... I can't afford to be without a car, and I can't afford higher insurance rates. Until they figure out a way to make those HIDs more secure... I'd have to blame Honda for not thinking of this.
Do any other brands have this problem?

Path: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net!newsfeed2.earthlink.net!newsfeed1.earthlink.net!newsfeed.earthlink.net!feeder.qis.net!sunqbc.risq.qc.ca!nf3.bellglobal.com!news.stealth.net!gestalt.direcpc.com!cyclone2.usenetserver.com!usenetserver.com!news01.optonline.net!news02.optonline.net.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: alt.autos.acura
Subject: Sold my 2000 TL today - Was too frustrated with HID lights being stolen
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.8/32.548
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 30
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 04:15:25 GMT
NNTP-Posting-Host: 67.80.225.199
X-Trace: news02.optonline.net 1012104925 67.80.225.199 (Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:15:25 EST)
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:15:25 EST
Organization: Optimum Online
X-Received-Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:15:42 PST (newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net)
Xref: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net alt.autos.acura:9342

I just had a 2nd pair of HID headlights stolen from my 2000 TL. Each repair cost about $3200 bucks. They destroy the bumper and side fenders to get these popular lights out.

The 'kids' are paying upward to $500 dollars for a stolen pair to
house in their Honda Accords.

What finally made me sell my car was a friend who just got her TL back from the auto body shop for stolen headlights. She had the car for less than 48 hours and they were stolen again!!!!!!!! Then I spoke with my neighbor today and he said a co-worker just had his HID's stolen from his TL last week. It's an epidemic!!!!!!!

I just felt 'cornered'. I need a car for commuting and some
occasional mall parking. I can't deal with parking a car and
wondering what condition it will be in when I get back.

Acura has even admitted that they are going to redesign the lights to be harder to steal in future models.

I gave up my dream car today, for something as stupid as headlights. What a way to shop for a new car "I'll take anything that does not have HID's"!!!!!

Here's an article:
http://www.bergen.com/bcoast/highbeam200112314.htm

Gary Q

·
Premium Member
13,838 Posts
Ouch. Get a garage dude!

Or stop parking it in NY/NJ. ;) :p

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TypeSDragoon said:
Scorpius, what's going on my OT buddy :cool:

i saw in your sig that you had a CL too :) now i see you here!

Um... I post there every now and then... slow day at work.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
autoxCLS said:
Ouch. Get a garage dude!

Or stop parking it in NY/NJ. ;) :p

Thats not an option for everyone... I don't blame him for selling it. I would too. Acura overlooked something.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is a "bright" side:

All that body damage will get us a front-end repaint. :rolleyes:

Damn Ricers and their HID envy.

Here's a thought:

Instead of buying a 7-10 used import and putting 20k+ into it......how about spending the 27-30k on a CL-TL to begin with? :rice:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts