Acura World banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be ordering H&R Sport Springs. About once a month, I see a post that says:

"Don't buy H&R, your rear will end up lower than your front."

I might be getting cold feet. Can those of you that have H&R Sports let me know if you've had any problems?

I have nothing in my trunk to weigh it down, so I'm hoping I won't have to worry about it.:dunno:

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
songoku said:

Let me make it more clearly. It's not that the rear will be lower than the front. It's about same drop but it looks lower on the back because front fender wheel housing is more wider than the back giving more fender gap.
;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the H&R sport springs on my 2002 TLS, and I have had them on for 4 months now..I love the look, perfectly level..Dont listen to the crap about the back being lower on the H&R's..I actually heard many people talking about how the eibach pro-kit's have a tendency to sag in the rear..Anyway, I have the H&R's and I can't find one thing to complain about with them. And with the price underscoring all the competitors, it was a no-brainer for me to get them. Don't get cold feet, you'll love the springs, you'll love the look, and you'll be wondering why you were having cold feet in the first place.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
What about the H&R OE springs? I do a lot of driving on flat as well as up and down hills, roads here are a little screwed up with constructions and potholes. I like the Sport, but I hate the harsh ride, so would anyone recommend the OE. BTW, I have 17" rims and like to get rid of a little of that gap. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think Songoku is right, with my stock spring I can insert a whole hand in the front and 4 fingers in the rear, after spring 2 finger gap in front, and about 1 1/2 finger gap in the rear. 5 - 2 = 3 finger drop in front, 4 - 1/12 = 2.5 finger drop in rear. So physically the front is still more drop than the rear, but look-wise the front gap is higher.

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
konigstiger said:
I think Songoku is right, with my stock spring I can insert a whole hand in the front and 4 fingers in the rear, after spring 2 finger gap in front, and about 1 1/2 finger gap in the rear. 5 - 2 = 3 finger drop in front, 4 - 1/12 = 2.5 finger drop in rear. So physically the front is still more drop than the rear, but look-wise the front gap is higher.
It's how they design the front engine cars. Basically the front will be more heavier than the back because of the engine. So they do give more wide space on the front fender housing. ;)

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I was also thinking of getting the H&R sports too. My question is does anyone have them and have a stereo in the trunk. If they do, does the back look considerably lower than the front?

If I were to put in a stereo, would you guys suggest getting the Comptech's instead?

·
91 Posts
dazz said:
I was also thinking of getting the H&R sports too. My question is does anyone have them and have a stereo in the trunk. If they do, does the back look considerably lower than the front?

If I were to put in a stereo, would you guys suggest getting the Comptech's instead?
depending on the wieght, if you are going to put a big box subwoofer system in your trunk i would go with the comptech springs just because these springs have a very noticeable rake look whereas the h&rs do not.

question: does everyone with lower springs konw that once the car is lifted on a rack or jack stands the rear springs actually have a lot of free play? this can cause them to sit out of place when the car is set to the ground. dangerous??

a friend of mine who is a bmw tech mentioned that this happend to one bmer at his dealership. the owner was driving and one of the springs popped totaly out of place causing significant damage in addition to creating a dangerous situation on the road for the driver and anyone around him.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
demetri said:

question: does everyone with lower springs konw that once the car is lifted on a rack or jack stands the rear springs actually have a lot of free play? this can cause them to sit out of place when the car is set to the ground. dangerous??

any thoughts?
Free play, yeah...the spring is shorter. As far as the spring falling out of the perch, I doubt that unless they cut the spring.

I had done this with my Cavalier (cut the springs) and the problem was that the shape of the spring was like a vase. It was small at one end, and it gradually got bigger as you went up, and then the last coil was much smaller. The perch was the same size as that small coil, and once I had cut the spring, the size of the coil didn't fit exactly. Everytime I turned the steering wheel the whole way, the spring would fall off the perch.

From all the honda's/acura's that I have seen, none of them are shaped liked this. The coils are all the same size, so even if you cut the spring, it will still sit on the perch.

The ends of after market springs are shaped the same way the OEM ones are, so I don't see a problem.

just my 2 cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.