Acura World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1999 Acura TL. Very niec car and semi happy! The Ac isnt working but my big problem is how it runs. If it sits for a few hours and everytime over night it will not start easily at all. 2-3 times of turning the key for about 5 secs, the car will start and idle at 400-500 rpms. If I touch the gas it almost sounds like a back fire in the engine. It smells like its running very rich. After letting it idle for a few minutes it runs fine and will start without any problems all day long.

I changed the spark plugs, checked the EGR valve, ,& the port in the intake manifold. Both looked fine and the intake had the update done. I cleaned the throttle body and the negative battery cable had some corrosion so I replaced it. The positive didnt look bad. This is what I've read to do from searching this forum.

Any ideas? could this be the MAP sensor? I unplugged it to make sure my check engine light did work and it didn't really change to much other than the check engine light did come on. It also is not throwing any check engine lights. I wish it would!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Welcome to AcuraWorld!

Well, the first thing I'd ask is if you have any MIL codes, and what they are. This will point us in the right direction, to either look for a sensor failure, or something on the mechanical side.....

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Okay, sorry, I JUST caught that it's not.....

According to the service literature, the first thing to check is the fuel pressure. Also check for:

- Low compression

- Intake air leaks

- Contaminated fuel

- Weak spark

It also states to check for a weak battery, though I don't see how that could be a root cause. Unfortunately the diagnostics don't go into further specifics on vehicles with no MIL code, but hopefully this info will get you going in some kind of right direction :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish it would throw a coide but it doesnt. I can feel it kind of missing and hesistating throughout the rpms. It usually takes off around 4-5k rpms, nut is very sluggish until then. Fuel should be fine Ive put a couple of tanks in it now and didnt see any intake leaks. It smells very gassy at startup. Im thinknig now weak spark. Are there any parts in the car that control spark- what I mean is the miss seems like it would be a coil pack if there was only one pack for all 6 cylinders. This car has 6 individual ones and atleast 2-3 would have to be bad to make it run like this. Maybe bad injectors??

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
If it was a coil pack, it would throw a cylinder misfire code. At this point it's going to be expensive guesswork if you don't have the proper diagnostic equipment.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took they car to a local garage and they said it was the fuel pressure regulator. If you turn the key 2-3 times and prime it - it starts. If I let it sit for 10-15 mins it starts ok but I notice it takes a little longer. Do I need a new ECU with a new fuel pressure regulator?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts