Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my experience head bolts are designed to be used only once. This is called a stretch-bolt design.

The FSM should mention this when discussing how to properly torque them. It doesn't specify new for my '88 but it says to torque in two steps. I believe the second step may introduce the stretching.

I would use new ones.

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
OE Head bolts should not be reused. If you want reusable ones the spend the money and get some ARP ones.

I'm sure you could get away with reusing them if you needed to, however I would much prefer not to worry about snapping one if I have ANY choice in the matter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bolts can be re-used ONCE!

If the bolts have a dab of paint on them, they have been removed before and should be replaced. If there is no paint on them they can be reused.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have reused them before...when I torqued them I just added an extra 10lbs of torque to them. It is recommended to get new ones, so you might as well get ARP head studs...can reuse them many times and their about same price as stock bolts...I believe there slightly cheaper honestly. I personally have reused the same stock bolts 3 times and was running 14lbs boost and never popped a headgasket...I highly suggest against doing that though. ARP is definitely the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts