Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post here as I recently sold my old prelude and purchased a used 96 integra-gsr. So far I haven't had any mechanical issues with the car, it is running great and I couldn't be happier with it.
One thing I wanted to ask about is what others have done to combat the extremely dim low beam headlights? Right now my driver's side low beam is out and I'm going to purchase a replacement for it but wanted to check into what options are available in terms of making them a little brighter. A friend of mine had an integra and used to just point his high beams lower and keep them on al the time but I'd like to avoid this solution.
Any thoughts appreciated and glad to be a memeber of this forum!

·
1,265 Posts
First of all welcome!

I have the same year GS-R as you do and agree that the headlights could be brighter... although I have to say that I think the highbeams are pretty good.

For starters, you may want to clean the headlight lenses. They will get dirty (inside and out) over time, which will make your headlights seem not as bright. Other than that, you have a couple options available to you...

1. Use a 9005 (highbeam) bulb instead of the 9006 (lowbeam) bulb. You have to cut away the small tab so that it will fit the connector, but otherwise, it'll fit fine. You may have to adjust your headlights down a bit to compensate.

2. Use Silverstars. Personally, I don't think they are much brighter than the stock bulbs... just whiter. I had a pair installed on my GS-R... got them on eBay for $25/pair. Once they go, I'll probably just replace them with a regular halogen set.

You could also look into using some HID bulbs, but I won't recommend them because they are not-DOT certified and thus illegal to install on the Integra for street use.

Another option is that Philips makes a bunch of different 9006 halogen bulbs, so one of them may work better than what you've got installed.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
i had nokya bulbs and they were considerably brighter.

·
1,265 Posts
spyder5786 said:
PIAA also makes some pretty good bulbs.
Good point. Most likely they'll be brighter than OEM and Silverstars, but they also cost quite a bit more. In addition, make sure if you do buy PIAA bulbs to make sure that you're getting the DOT-certified ones... they also make even brighter ones that are not legal for street use.

*EDIT: I just checked PIAA's and Sylvania's websites. It appears that the PIAA Xtreme White Plus and Sylvania Silverstars are both rated at about 4000k, so they may be comparable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll check those out. I agree, the highbeams do an excellent job. I'll give the stock lights a shot and just clean the lenses to the best of my ability and letcha know how it goes.
I truly love driving this car, going from the prelude to this has taken some serious getting used to in terms of handling though, it doesn't feel better or worse, just strange so I'm still gaining a feel for the car.

·
1,265 Posts
You might also consider getting one size up on the tires (if you need them). Stock tire size is 195/55/15, but you can safely go up to 205/50/15 with the stock wheels. It'll improve handling quite a bit, plus you'll have a wider selection of tires to choose from. The downside is that you'll lose 1 or 2 MPG, and you'll have slightly worse snow traction. Ever since I got rid of the horrible Michelin XGT V4s, I've gone with the bigger tire size and have been happy with the results.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
i never had a problem with them...the color was arctic white...a nice bright white with a hint of blue tint....im not sure if they were dot approved or anything tho

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
blueLS01 said:
i never had a problem with them...the color was arctic white...a nice bright white with a hint of blue tint....im not sure if they were dot approved or anything tho
Yeah I had the same ones. They are not DOT approved according to 2 police officers here in VA.

·
523 Posts
Type2-L said:
Yeah I had the same ones. They are not DOT approved according to 2 police officers here in VA.
haha....same thing happened to me....damn VA :bash:

Sylvania Silverstars are pretty good...i used those after the Nokyas...
Around $30 at Pep Boys...but they work great...

·
No Longer Here
3,703 Posts
I got the shitty EuroDezigns H.I.Ds, claiming 8500k DOT aproved (Not sure if thats a big lie). They actuley look really good and ive gotten alot of comments on em, no trouble from the police though.. even in VA beach. The only problem i have is that one seems a little bit faulty, and you have to go and bearly flick the headlight housing and Tada, it comes on, it seems to be happeneing a bit less now, im wondering when i add my grounding kit if it will help the problem.

·
5,395 Posts
Sylvania Silverstars are pretty good bulbs you could do the 9005 Conversion also, I had the noyka ,and I got pull over for them also damn CA lol ,there not dot approved but the Sylvania Silverstars are, you could find them at walmart , pepboys, autzone, Kragen etc..
the Piaa are also good but they do cost alot $$$, I would stay away from bulbs that are over watt they could burn your harness as well as bulbs from ebay that says HID .. make sure you re aim the new light bulbs also...

·
5,395 Posts
Also you can use a Eagle One Never Dull to clean your head light, tail lights, fog lights you get the idea it looks like this

it cleans buildup water spot...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Doesn't the aftermarket bulbs raise the chance of messing up your car? Or is it only certain one's?

·
5,395 Posts
Make sure you don't touch the bulb when you install them by touching them they can burn out quicker

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.