Acura World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New forum member here posting for the first time. Why now? Well, I'm moving and now have to decide what to do with my beloved 1987 Integra LS. It's been sitting on the driveway for the last 4 years. At first, I kept up the routine of starting the engine and taking a short drive around the block just to keep everything charged and lubed. But, yeah, I got lazy. The car has not moved in the last 4 years.

I had always envisioned this to become a project car. It has 295K miles, mostly freeway running between LV and the SF Bay Area. To say I'm sentimentally attached to the car is an understatement. Lots of life events with this car. I bought the car new and have been the sole owner. The body style still excites and look better than many cars on the road today, IMHO. But I'm also a realist and really don't want to spend "too much" to restore it to at least a running condition. I'll most likely have to spend a bit more to take care of cosmetic trim and other repairs.

This is where you, as Integra enthusiasts, come in. How much is "too much" when it comes to spending to restore a car like this? KBB estimates the value from $1200 to $3000. Or should I just bite the bullet and let it go? The idea of letting the car go to another owner feels awkward. (Maybe I should restate my being "sentimental" about the car to just being plain "mental") Another idea is just to donate it to a local charity. So, keep and restore, sell, or donate. Whaddaya say? :|

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had a 86 bmw 325. Low rpm slow moving engine and trans parts, with high torque. Lasted long time.
I gave it away at 550,000 miles. Threw in an extra muffler. case of oil, timing belt and special tools.
Replaced the sunroof crank five times, but never had to touch the clutch even though I changed the timing belt and water pump five times. Oh yeah, the muffler 6 times.

I'm only telling you this, because you will see that I really did own it that long. Paint was excellent, cause I washed and waxed it at least once a month and changed the oil EVERY 3,000 miles. I bet the car had at least another 100k left on it. if no more maintenance was done. Car more than paid for itself. loved that car.

OK. This may surprise you, but my suggestion is to sell it. You have become blind to the routine work you have to do. A new car will open up your eyes. Oh yeah, the safety features have improved drastically as well. The new cars will not rust like anything pre-93.

GPS, hands free, auto tensioning belts, Side airbags. The world has moved on since '87.

One more thing. My first car was a '66 2+2 mustang. Fixed it up engine and suspension. To friggin die for. 350 hp four speed. Daily driver. Became blind to the fact that the Steering wheel was a death pole. The dashboard was steel, the seat belts were two point. no whiplash protection from seats with no head rests, no protection for passengers or back seat riders. No anti lock breaks...........

JMO though, but always good to have some input on these things, I know I was blind to the dangers of cars I fell in love with. Just like the women in my life. Boys can be so stupid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts