Acura World banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello as a new member and the owner of a new (old) 2002 Acura TL Type S. Im not new to the Honda/Acura world as the proud owner of a 2001 Honda s2000.

My TL has 122K; all dealer serviced and is clean. Great power, interior great and paid 1000 for it. No one leak or drop of fluid anywhere under hood or under the car. It is as if it was hardly ever driven, it is so clean in and out. The car is awesome, I literally love this car and although it does not rev to 9K like the s2k, 7K in a sedan is hell of a lot of fun.

However, of course, like all Acura is of this generation im now having some tranny issues that I was kind of warned about but took the risk anyway. I did a lot of reading before I came here so I would be somewhat prepared.

Tranny works OK when warmed up, but when cold it hits a bit hard and takes a bit too go from second to third gear. Once the car is warmed up, or in this case, the fluid, the car shifts normally. In fact, last night I punched it hard off the line and it revved up and shifted through all gears nicely.

Other than the cold fluid issue, I do feel the car vibrate at times if im going up a hill or from a dead stop. Rather feels like slipping trans but ever so slightly. My plan, warm up the car and check the fluid level, color and smell. I do not have the car records yet ( getting them soon ) but it was always dealer serviced so I cannot believe the fluid was never changed. Ill report what I find here and hopefully the Acura experts can point me in the right direction.

Really appreciate the input if any and glad to be here.

Ricky

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
5 Posts
Intermittent PGM-FI Main Relay issue, heads up

We've had the same car since new, and still love it at 320K miles. But be aware of a known problem with the original PGM-FI Main Relay (with many Acura / Honda vehicles) that can cause intermittent electrical problems, e.g. no start, anti-theft key recognition problems, cruise control shutoff, CD player flakey, etc. The problem is an easy fix by resoldering the vias/pins on the relay ckt board (worked for me), or better yet, simply replacing the relay (under driver side dash near steering column). Check out the issue on Youtube. The repair is easy, but troubleshooting intermittent things can be quite maddening. It may not happen to you, but don't forget this warning if you start having intermittent electrical related problems. I tried a non-mechanical relay (IC), which worked OK for a while but then started causing intermittent no starts and cruise control shut offs itself, so I swapped it out for the original (resoldered by me) relay, and all is golden. Enjoy the ride!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.