Acura World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car stalls randomly when I begin to slow down, this issues increases when i have less than half a tank of gas. It also has very bad shaking when in idle. I have a few ideas on what the issues are but I wanted to know some of your opinions. THX

·
Kickin Names & Taking Azz
208 Posts
we need more info.... does this happen all the time??? only after driving at highway speeds then slowing down or even after getting to 20mph then coming to a stop? how is your state of tune?? plugs, wires, filters all up to date?? does it accelerate fine? does it do it hot and cold or one or the other? there are many many things that can cause this.....

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
Auto or manual? Does it only when stopping in gear (assuming automatic). Will it stay running in park or neutral?

·
208 Posts
S2K is thinking proper.....

·
"We got this... go home."
25,012 Posts
Agreed with everyone else; might as well throw in:
  • Mileage of Integra
  • Any recent Upgrades
  • Maintenance/Last Major Repair

Could be fuel filter, fuel lines, ignition problems, etc... there is a lot of things it could be... pinpointing is difficult over the web :-/

Best of Luck though, we'll help try to fill-in the blanks as we go along.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1993 acura integra gs
190k miles
automatic
all stock
filters need to be checked
happens more often after decelerating from high speeds
happens less often when just driving stop and go (cold)
this problem doesnt happen all the time
the car has no problem starting or staying on in park or nuetral
acceleration is fine

·
Registered
10 Posts
1993 acura integra gs
190k miles
automatic
all stock
acceleration is fine
I would advise a full tune up and have the ignition timing check.

·
208 Posts
1993 acura integra gs
190k miles
automatic
all stock
acceleration is fine

if it only happens after driving at highway speeds then coming to a full stop your torque converter clutch may not be releasing causing a stall.....try attempting to duplicate condition in drive 3, not d4 or overdrive...if problem goes away, you can be pretty sure the tcc (torque converter clutch) is sticking....

this is a common prob in gm trannies

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
if it only happens after driving at highway speeds then coming to a full stop your torque converter clutch may not be releasing causing a stall.....try attempting to duplicate condition in drive 3, not d4 or overdrive...if problem goes away, you can be pretty sure the tcc (torque converter clutch) is sticking....

this is a common prob in gm trannies
The 1993 Integras have a mainshaft/countershaft setup in the transmission. It's basically a manual transmission that is shifted automatically, therefore that wouldn't apply.

Those fuel filters had a 60K service interval. That's where I'd start.

·
208 Posts
The 1993 Integras have a mainshaft/countershaft setup in the transmission. It's basically a manual transmission that is shifted automatically, therefore that wouldn't apply.

Those fuel filters had a 60K service interval. That's where I'd start.
yes, the internal setup of honda trannies are manual like, but they do however have a torque converter, which is where the toque converter clutch is located, furthermore the torque converter is not inside the tranny, it is externally located in the bell housing where a standard tranny clutch would go.......all automatics have a TCC in order to better meet high fuel mileage standards.....

see this vid for a nice laymens description of the workings of a torque converter...

so, basically, the TCC acts like an extra gear thus lowering the final drive ratio even further than the 5th gear alone would....the next time you are driving an automatic count the rpm step downs...on a 5 gear auto there are 5 real shifts, but there is an almost imperceptible final reduction of rpms...it is only a few hundred rpms and cannot be felt as a regular shift can. but it is there nonetheless.....so there we have it, our 5at's are almost as sporty as the 6mt's.............almost......ok not really but its fun to imagine....

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Okay, Rob, time to take you to task for a moment.

Thanks for the "schooling", but I've rebuilt transmissions myself, as recently as last year, and I understand how they work. I also know what a stuck lockup solenoid will do. This ain't it. GM transmissions are a much different animal.

I've been working for Acura for the last 15 years, day in and day out. I've been giving advice to members on this forum regarding mechanical issues for the last eight years. I start out simple with these things, and work my way into deeper diagnoses as the simple things don't pan out. Would you have someone start transmission diagnosis with a stalling issue, or would you have them check basic maintenance that has to be performed anyways?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you just complaining about all these technical questions that you seem to have been answering?

Link: http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f36/does-bother-anyone-else-96025/

And to answer your not-so-rhetorical question, no, it doesn't bother me to help people flesh out problems. This is what I do here.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Furthermore, I'd like to know how a transmission issue would ramp up when the fuel tank is low. More than likely he's got sediment in the gas tank, but a fuel filter replacement when it's not known then the last replacement is, is an easier start to the cure.

That aside, automatic transmission second-gen Integras always seemed to have steering wheel vibrations at idle.

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
Now boys. Play nice.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I know, I know, I'm trying.....I tend to get fired up once about every five years or so :)

·
208 Posts
hi honda planet, ok for starters, i'm not going to go back and forth with you, i have no issues with you, your expertise, you willingness to help others, or anything along those lines. we are on the same team here and i don't wish to argue, i can tell you are very knowledgeable....but to answer some of your questions....

first, i wasn't "schooling" you...if i recall right, you corrected/"schooled" me first by stating that i was mistaken and a TCC issue doesn't apply to hondas. i was just reinforcing my claim with outside data and references to validate my claim that ALL auto trannies have a torque converter and thus a TCC, so this problem could occur across all brands and models. i hate saying that "john doe" did it first, but it is what it is.

secondly, you asked

"Would you have someone start transmission diagnosis with a stalling issue, or would you have them check basic maintenance that has to be performed anyway?"

up to date maint. was the first thing i asked about....and yes i will suggest any area of concern i think may be causing a problem. i would never have someone replace parts just "check" if that fixes the issue. also, maint should be up to date anyway, so telling someone to do something that should already have been performed is somewhat unnecessary.
furthermore, rey asked for a few ideas/opionons on what could be causing his problem. i never said this was the problem. i only offered a very easy to do task to perform that may or may not eliminate this potentiality. in addition since his car does stall randomly, this could very well be a stuck tcc.

rey said

"happens more often after decelerating from high speeds
the car has no problem starting or staying on in park or nuetral"

so yes it sounds like a stuck tcc, which would only happen after decelling from high speeds and not in stop and go traffic.

now to respond to your statement of

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you just complaining about all these technical questions that you seem to have been answering?"

i really don't see how a red herring line of reasoning in relevant here. diverting the issue away to another topic isn't going to do anything but make this take longer...
but since u ask.....i'm not "complaining" about offering advise....i think it would be nice to know if our input was helpful or fixed the problem so that others, who may have a similar issue, have some sort of closure when they read the thread.

and to answer your final statement of
" Furthermore, I'd like to know how a transmission issue would ramp up when the fuel tank is low. More than likely he's got sediment in the gas tank, but a fuel filter replacement when it's not known then the last replacement is, is an easier start to the cure."

well, a lot of times when people give symptoms there is needless or coincidental info in there which must be sorted out from the useful info. so i disregarded it because if there is sediment in the tank it would also be there while driving in stop and go traffic. if the fuel filter were clogged however, the idle should be fine, but the acceleration and highway speed performance would suffer because of the high fuel volume the motor needs. idle barely uses any fuel..he stated that acceleration is ok and idling in park or neutral is ok....the fuel filter has no idea what gear the car is in....so yes it seems tranny related..

in conclusion....we could both be wrong here for all we know...i'm not saying anyone's right or wrong. i'm just pitching out easy tests to do to narrow down the cause...
i'm not here to argue or seem knowledgeable....i really don't know jack and am still in school....if anything i'm here to make friends, shoot the shit and learn more ....so, don't take it to heart bro.....

ps....i like ur picard avi too...2nd gen is my fav ST series...

·
208 Posts
ps... flame suit now activating!!!!! (in a playful chuckle)

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Nah, I'm not tossing bombs at anyone.

The only thing I have to go by is my experiences with Acuras and Hondas. I not only do parts on them, but I actually love turning a wrench on them (Civic head gasket a couple months ago, and a friend with an 02 Accord is coming over with a check engine light. Based on what he's telling me, I'll be doing an EGR port cleaning). One of the Canadian members from another board is coming over to my house on Saturday, and we're going to install the body kit on his 06 TL.

There's a lot you can pick up by reading and research, but the hands on gives you a new perspective. It also makes me better at my job. The more cars I'm under the hood of, the better equipped I am to handle questions relating to them. In my own experience, I had the exact same failure of a lockup solenoid that you described, but on Toyotas. Every solenoid failure I've ever seen, the car will stall the moment you put it in drive, unless you gun it and shift while the engine is revving down. It'll still idle, though.

Advice on a car forum is a lot like going to WebMD to see if you're having a heart attack, or if it's because you just ate half a dozen roller dogs at the 7-11 that were a little beyond their expiration date....you just equate prior medical history to past maintenance to get a baseline. You're never 100% right all the time, but many times you can go through the basics as defined by what the customer knows. That's the key.

And hey, if you're ever in Buffalo and feel like getting dirty, c'mon over, there's usually some cold ones in the fridge :)

·
208 Posts
Advice on a car forum is a lot like going to WebMD to see if you're having a heart attack, or if it's because you just ate half a dozen roller dogs at the 7-11 that were a little beyond their expiration date....you just equate prior medical history to past maintenance to get a baseline. You're never 100% right all the time, but many times you can go through the basics as defined by what the customer knows. That's the key.

And hey, if you're ever in Buffalo and feel like getting dirty, c'mon over, there's usually some cold ones in the fridge :)
word.....i love cars as well....anything mechanical for that matter......same offer is open for you as well. i'm in between philly an nyc near princeton nj and would love to learn more about hondas....sadly i grew up on GM powertrains.........u wanna replace a leaking intake gasket on a mid 90'2 early 00's v6 i'm yo man......don't know as much about hondas though....maybe cause they rarely need work....:beerchug:

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,587 Posts
OK, back to the subject at hand.

The filters would be the first place I would look, especially with unknown service history. I would also check throttle cable for proper tension as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts