Acura World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I own a 99 acura TL with 329K and engine still running good. I just had the trans rebuilt. I put 328K on the original engine and trans before the trans gave out and I ended up getting it rebuilt, but I took really good care of this car.

I do have only one issue that I've been dealing with that I would like to get fixed ASAP (it you guys think this is somehthing that can be fixed) but wanted to see if anyone has had this same issue. I was hoping someone could either confirm what my honda tech POC is telling me or from own personal experience. This is becoming somewhat of a pain and its worst in the summer time.

I've included an email thread that basiclaly provides the sympton and what the honda tech is saying the issue is. I haven't taken it to acura to have it diagonosed bec in order for them to replicate, it would have to be driven based on what is said below. I'm not sure if they are going to do all that. Also even after talking to them over the phone they don't want to provide much information so that is why i'm here on the forum to talk to all of you experts and acura owners who might know firsthand and point me in the right direction.

Subject: Fwd: 1999 Acura 3.2tl

To: Subject: Re: Fwd: 1999 Acura 3.2tl

Sounds to me like you are trying to find an alternative solution to what
honda/acura has deemed as a faulty pcm and fuel pressure regulator issue.

Unless you have other symptoms you are wasting your time. Symptoms of faulty pcm and regulatoe are limited to only a few years, i think 98 through 2000 and states that after driving for a whole and shutting off, if you attempt to resfart in about 10 to 15 min ( heat soak) the car has a hard time starting and idling. Usually causing misfire codes.
Idle control valve may be an issue, do hou have a code or are you speculating?
Im not sure how much we are going to be getting done before the holiday season
is over. Im going to have a busy schedule. And yes i do have pgm or hds. No
honda place can go without one.
Dan

On Dec 7, 2012 5:01 PM, wrote:
Dan. Can you diagnose or check this for me.

Subject: FW: 1999 Acura 3.2tl
See his e-mail regarding fuel pressure. See the details below.

Ian A. Sansoni

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 4:35 PM
To: Sansoni, Ian A.
Subject: RE: 1999 Acura 3.2tl

I would think it was the EGR valve but have already replaced
it.
Have you checked the fuel pressure.

Log Out | Help
PRINCE WILLIAM CNTY FLEET MGT

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference
Top of Form
Component Search:

Bottom of Form

Conversion
Calculator

1999 Acura TL V6-3206cc 3.2L SOHC MFI

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Fuel Delivery and Air Induction Technical Service Bulletins All
Technical Service Bulletins Engine Controls - Idle Speed Inspection

Engine Controls - Idle Speed Inspection

03-006
March 17, 2003

* Applies To*
Inspecting Idle Speed With the PGM Tester or Honda Diagnostic System (Supersedes 03-
006, dated March 3, 2003)
Updated information is shown by asterisks and black bars.
BACKGROUND
The ECM/PCM controls the vehicle's idle speed with the idle air control (IAC) valve. The IAC
valve and the air bleed screw (idle adjusting screw) work together to allow the proper
amount of air into the intake manifold when the throttle plate is closed (the accelerator
pedal is released).
The ECM/PCM "learns" to work the IAC valve based on the total amount of air entering the
intake manifold. Air can enter the intake manifold from several sources, including the air
bleed screw, but only the air bleed screw is adjustable. If any changes are made that alter
this airflow, specifically with the air bleed screw, the ECM/PCM must learn new idle
parameters.
When the air bleed screw is properly set, the ECM/PCM controls the engine's idle speed
seamlessly. But when the air bleed screw is not properly set, either of these symptoms may
be present:
^
Idle speed dips and then quickly recovers.
^
Engine stalls intermittently when it is just "off-idle." Here are the criteria for this symptom:
-
The accelerator pedal is released but the driver's right foot rests over the pedal,
causing just enough pressure for the ECM/PCM to detect an input, yet there is little of
no throttle plate opening (the throttle plate is either not allowing any airflow or it is
opened so slightly that more air supply is needed).

Check this out.

James L Lambert
Motorized Equipment Shop Superintendent
Fleet Management Division
703-792-5939
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 11:07 AM
To: Lambert, James L.
Subject: 1999 Acura 3.2tl

Jim – my neighbor has an 1999 Acura 3.2tl with 320k miles. He is experiencing idling issues
with his car. See the symptoms and attempts to fix the issue below. Any suggestions for solutions
that he has not already tried?

Symptom: After driving varying distances, sporadically when I try to start my car after 5 - 30
minutes afterwards, it will rough idle like it is not receiving enough gas. If I hit/hold the gas
lightly it will keep it from quitting and once I pull off it runs fine. Any ideas? It's starting to
happen more frequently.

Note: when this first starting happening it would trigger the p0300 misfire codes. After all the recent fixes the codes have not retured but problem still remains.

Things that have already been done under the hood/engine:
Replaced all spark plugs with the platinum ones
Replaced bad O2 censor 1 from last code reading
Replaced two bad ignition coils
Used fuel injection cleaner fluid periodically by BG44K
EGR replacement and drill port fix from Acura
IACV – Idle air control valve replaced
Radiator replacement and new coolant/flush

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking for acura tech to do side work

Looking for any acura techs that would be willing to do some side work on a 99 acura TL in the Northern VA area (Northern VA, DC, MD or Richmond VA)

Work needed. ( I have the parts, just need labor)

PCM/ECU replaced and reprogrammed/flash
Fuel Pressure regulator replaced
3 keys reprogrammed

Please feel free to reply here or contact me on my personal email at [email protected]

Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts