Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help : Rotted front cross beam on 2000 TL

Took my 2000 TL to a local mechanic to diagnose an occasional thunk in the front right. We put the car on the lift and immediately saw the problem: The front crossmember that is behind the front wheels (the one that has the front stabilizer bar attached to it) has rotted and broken on the right side, right before it bolts on to the other cross member that forms a "C" shape and runs accross the front of the car before the front wheels.

The mechanic said it would take about 6-8 hours to replace because he has to remove the rack n pinion , stabilizer bar etc. The part is of course a dealer only part or from a recycler if he can find one. I can't drive the car safely of course in that condition.

The questions are :
- Is this a common problem on Honda/Acura of those years ?
- Is the work estimate accurate ? How long should it take to fix ?
- Is it worth fixing ?

Any other advice ? The rest of the car is in good shape.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a diagram of the cross beam online but I don't know if I am allowed to post a link to it. (part # 50200-S0K-A01). The part looks a lot more massive than I thought. The part that rusted and sheared is the tab at the lower end that bolts to the front cross beam.

Can it be repaired or braced without having to replace the whole part ?

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
A very skilled fabricator could probably repair the subframe however he would not be able to vouch for the structural integrity of the entire part. You don't want to mend the one tab and then have the rest of the piece break in half while you're driving down the street. I would recommend replacing the entire component with a new or known good used one. This isn't just a mounting bracket, its a major structural component of the vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I guess if the right wheel could have received a sufficient shock or jolt at some point it could cause a crack at that location ?

I recall an incident this winter where I was going down a laneway at a pretty good clip that opened into a busy street at the end (a T intersection) and the last 30 feet or so of the laneway turned out to be sheer ice that day .... I hit the brakes and kept on sliding... I turned the wheels full right preparing to merge into the traffic at the end and still might have had the brakes on. So in effect I went from sheer ice to fully dry pavement with the wheels fully turned to the right ... you can imagine the force applied at an angle to the right front wheel when it hit try pavement ... I drove home slowly and looked around the car seemed fine for 5 months or so until now...

So about 6-8 hours labour sounds right for a replacement ?

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
Yes I would say if its done so in the past then it could certainly do it again. As far as time for labor, I'm not familiar enough with the TL to even speculate on how long it would take to do that job, also since its rusted it'll take longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts