Acura World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ToXiiK
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new here and this is my first post. If this has been discussed before (which I highly, HIGHLY, doubt) I'm sorry...

Ok so I have an automatic 96 Integra LS and I've had a few problems with it before but never anything like this...

I'll be driving and then I'll let go of the gas and tap the brake because I have to slow down, and I'll push the gas again to go, and the RPMs shoot up to about 4-5000 but the car won't go... It's like it won't get into gear. I'll be driving and make a left turn without stopping and let go of the gas to coast the turn, but I'll push the gas again to go and the RPM needle just shoots straight up and I hear the engine, like I'm revving it, but the car won't go until after 1-2 seconds. And when the car finally does decide to go it jerks, like if it just shifted into the gear it's suppose to be in. Also when I turn on my car I'll put it into gear (Drive, reverse) and the car jerks. Could this be the same problem or something totally different...

This is killing me... It's wasting a shitload of gas...

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
And, I hate to say, you will be out a shit ton of money getting a new transmission. Wish to hell I had better news.

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
Agreed with the DuckDog. You're going to have to take this to an automatic transmission shop and have them diagnose it. There is most likely a rebuild in your future.

·
ToXiiK
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh fuck... Really? So it is the transmission? Because I asked a friend earlier and he said that happened with his car when he got a new motor installed, but turned out it was a loose wire... So what would I have to do? I'm 18 and no very, VERY little about cars... I don't even know the purpose of DOC's....

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
It could be the shift solenoids. Either way, get it checked out.

·
ToXiiK
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. First of all I want to say thank you for the advice you guys have given me so far.
And what's a solenoid? I also have a K&N cleanable Intake (I don't have to keep buying a new one, just wash it).... Not sure if it's cold air, or short intake... But my car had been sitting there for about 4-6 months with occasional starting because I had a flat... Could it be low/dirty oil? Dirty Intake filter? I also noticed for a while after I got it going again My Anti-Freeze/Coolant kept disappearing. Like I would have to refill it every other day, if not every day... Could that be it? I also have had to jump start my car because my battery died a couple of times... Could that be it? And also I have a broken motor mount or something and my neighbor (which fixes cars all day, every day) said that's why it jerks when I first shift into gear could that also be it? Once again I appreciate your help.

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
Hoo boy.

You are a bit of a car n00b, aren't you? :lol:

Solenoids are a group of electronic switches that actuate shifting on the transmission. Honda transmissions are shifted externally from the trans instead of internally like a domestic auto.

The transmission fluid (light red colored oil) more than likely needs to be drained and replaced. If it is anything than a bright red color, get that done You more than likely have dirt and grease build up on the solenoid housing, and that will need to be clean.

Sounds like this Teg is in need of some major maintenance. Get the timing belt done and replace the water pump. Your coolant issue is totally unrelated to the transmission issue. I would guess either water pump and/or the radiator.

Any car ever built by Honda/Acura wants regular maintenance and to be kept in tip top shape for cleanliness. These cars especially, of all brands, don't like neglect.

Come along, young Padawan, we will teach in the ways of the Integra Force.

;)'

·
ToXiiK
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... A bit? Ha ha I just crawled out of the Integra womb! But ok thanks I'll get right on that. That seems managable enough for me. I'll do that and let you know if their are anymore problems. Thanks

·
ToXiiK
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ckecked my oil earlier and I had very, VERY little oil... So I bought some and put it in and my teggy, for now atleast, isn't giving me anymore shifting problems... It hasn't revved without going into gear yet... We'll see tomorrow

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
How much did it take?

Sure hope that you didn't damage the trans, and keep an eye on that and look for leaks.

:thumbsup:

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
I ckecked my oil earlier and I had very, VERY little oil... So I bought some and put it in and my teggy, for now atleast, isn't giving me anymore shifting problems... It hasn't revved without going into gear yet... We'll see tomorrow
Low transmission fluid will definitely cause that kind of activity. Could have caused some damage to it as well. I'd be very gentle and wary of odd sounds and whirrs for the next couple weeks/days. Don't get skiddish, but just be observant. Hopefully you escaped doing any serious damage to that transmission.

·
ToXiiK
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It took about 2 quarts. And then I checked my transmission fluid which was kinda low. Not nearly as low as my oil though. I went to Auto Zone and told them my problem and they gave me some liquid for that you pour into your transmission fluid and it's suppose to stop hard shifting and slips. I asked them if it would REALLY work... They said yes. And it actually kinda did. My car doesn't shift nearly as hard as it use to but my transmission still slips though not as often as before. I only put about half of the bottle in there.
I'm thinking of putting the rest....

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
Those kinds of things are just bandaids for the real problem. At some point its going to let go and you'll need to at least replace the clutch packs from the sounds of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts