Acura World banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
JohnnyMc
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have worked on cars for years, so I know my way around the garage. However I can't believe I made this mistake...

I recently bought a 2000 Acura RL, for my son who will be headed back to college in a few weeks. And I washed the engine without it running, as I was afraid it might be too hot from driving it..

Of course I got the classic rough idle when I cranked it back up and the total lack of power.

BTW I pulled the codes they are: P1201-1202-1203 and P0300 (which seem to be misfire codes).

Here is what I have done to try and remedy the problem:

I Pulled all the coil packs and dried them off with a towel and air compressor - twice.

Checked the resistance between the terminals on each coil pack. They each came in between .09 and 1.0 which is spec.

I have replaced all the spark plugs with the identical kind that were in the car NGK Iridium's (as a few looked pitted at the base when I pulled them)

I have disconnected dried with compressed air and reconnected all the wiring modules that make sense under the hood.

After all this it runs a little bit better, it idles nicely until it drops down to around 700 rpm and then is starts sounding and running a little rough. When I press the accelerator to get it up to around 1200 rpm it really starts to sound rough, like it wants to stall, but if I rev it past that it sounds fine. When I take it for a drive it's very sluggish and hesitant to around 15 to 20 mph until I punch it and then it takes off with no issue.

However something is not right... what I am I missing? is it the coil packs after all even though they seem to test okay? or is there a sensor or connection that is causing this? I have to imagine it's electrical, and of course the check engine light has been flashing away.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

·
1,183 Posts
Has it gotten better? Wondering if a few weeks of driving helped cure the problem or if it is still the same?

·
Registered
11 Posts
BEEN THERE!

I've done the same thing to previous, non-Acura, car of mine and to remedy the problem i simply added HEAT, the same stuff used for extremely cold starts, which is a water remover then ran the heck out of the car in an attempt to push w/e bad stuff is in there through the system along with the overwhelming amount of good stuff(excuse the very simplistic terms). Wont work if you simply go hard thru the first gear or two. Seriously, find an open (straight) road away from traffic and pedestrians and hammer it! If it were my car i'd definitely go into the triple digits. This same thing worked for my motorcycle after i got water in the exhaust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.