Acura World banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 RDX, noticing its consuming over 1qt by 7k miles. I'm an old dude...Had alot of cars, trucks, tractors, boat engines, etc over the years, used to rebuild engines. Outside of a old Monza i had in the 80's with a Vega engine, leaking valve covers, rings gone, etc..i've NEVER had a engine burn this much. Nissan Truck (Titans), Honda Accords, Lexus, etc just from the past 10 years.

Dealership (incompetent kid) tells me to expect a qt upto 3k miles, nothing to do (no leaks). I escalated to Honda, they just parrot what the dealership tells them, no validation or knowledge.

In research, i see various engines have TSB's regarding this (honda just settled a lawsuit on Acura's 3.7-liter J37 V-6 engine over just this). In addition CR did a great article talking about newer engines, in the design changes to improve gas mileage, they have caused issues resulting in high oil consumption. Some Newer Cars Can Burn Lots of Oil - Consumer Reports

The manual (now) doesn't state miles (wonder why?!) in intervals, its all about the "Maintenance Minder", which seems to be triggered from different inputs, but clearly obfusicating the core issue of high oil consumption.

Would love to hear any others issues and any specifics they may have. I recorded the last change, to show full dipstick and will check each 1k miles to track (of course the dealership didn't even recommend doing that..."we don't see any leaks, just keep adding oil, each 3k miles)) WTF.

· Registered
198 Posts
mostly is due to
MPROPER OR POOR-QUALITY OIL. Different engines require the use of specific lubricant blends. ...
DAMAGED PISTON RINGS. ...
OLD ENGINES. ...
WORN SEALS OR GASKETS. ...
BLUE SMOKE. ...
LOW COMPRESSION. ...
HIGH-CARBON FORMATION IN THE ENGINE. ...
COOLANT DETERIORATION.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice 'Dump"...basically irrelevant for this vehicle, given factory oil, 34k miles (fully under warranty), you forgot leaks...none there...but yes, poor/changed design as per CR article and similar lawsuits against the V-6 engines from Honda (Acura models).

I was looking for a more SPECIFIC post...other owners of my vehicle (engine--2.0L, Turbo, 4 cylinder), same model.

· Registered
14 Posts
I don't think a quart in 7,000 miles is excessive. I personally wouldn't like it in a newer vehicle but I guarantee Honda will tell you this is normal.

My 2004 CR-V with 250,000mi uses 1.5-2 quarts between 6,000 mile oil changes.

· Registered
4 Posts
I agree with you Engineer, I would just hate it if the engine on a 3 year old car burned a couple of quarts between changes. I got rid of a 2010 TSX for that and other reasons, and there was a bulletin on that one. The rings were bad and there was a long period recall (8 years) on it. Unfortunately I missed it.
Now I have a 2016 RDX base model with the V-6 and it's perfect. At ~ 50K miles it does not use a drop that I can tell. Keep after it, try a different dealer, several different dealers. Maybe one will level with you if there is a known problem. Sux.

· Registered
117 Posts
I have a 2020 RDX, noticing its consuming over 1qt by 7k miles. I'm an old dude...Had alot of cars, trucks, tractors, boat engines, etc over the years, used to rebuild engines. Outside of a old Monza i had in the 80's with a Vega engine, leaking valve covers, rings gone, etc..i've NEVER had a engine burn this much. Nissan Truck (Titans), Honda Accords, Lexus, etc just from the past 10 years.

Dealership (incompetent kid) tells me to expect a qt upto 3k miles, nothing to do (no leaks). I escalated to Honda, they just parrot what the dealership tells them, no validation or knowledge.

In research, i see various engines have TSB's regarding this (honda just settled a lawsuit on Acura's 3.7-liter J37 V-6 engine over just this). In addition CR did a great article talking about newer engines, in the design changes to improve gas mileage, they have caused issues resulting in high oil consumption. Some Newer Cars Can Burn Lots of Oil - Consumer Reports

The manual (now) doesn't state miles (wonder why?!) in intervals, its all about the "Maintenance Minder", which seems to be triggered from different inputs, but clearly obfusicating the core issue of high oil consumption.

Would love to hear any others issues and any specifics they may have. I recorded the last change, to show full dipstick and will check each 1k miles to track (of course the dealership didn't even recommend doing that..."we don't see any leaks, just keep adding oil, each 3k miles)) WTF.
You must be a retired electrical engineer?

1 qt/7000 Mile's is exceptionally low.

Kwit yer bitchin and become informed.

If it was 1 qt in 700 miles, you'd have an issue

Change your oil at 5000 miles or you will end up with a burner.....

Astrobuf

· Registered
144 Posts
I just sold my 11 MDX Adv with the 3.7L V6 with 155,000 miles that had an oil consumption issue. It was around 1 1/2 qts per 9500 mile oil change interval. My MDX didn't qualify for the TSB for the piston/cylinder ring replacement because the oil consumption needed to be closer to 1 qt per 1000 miles.

I don't know if the 2.0L turbo oil consumption is the same as the 3.7L V6 engines? The oil consumption wasn't as widely known when I purchased my 11 MDX used with 30,000 miles and the warranty fix came much later. I did switch to full syn Mobil 1 oil on my first oil change and my oil consumption rate hasn't change during ownership.

Checking & adding oil and other fluids, checking PSI, replacing wipers, rotation/balance/alignments, and checking engine/cabin filters are just normal things I do maintain my vehicles in-between scheduled maintenance trips.

· Registered
117 Posts
I just sold my 11 MDX Adv with the 3.7L V6 with 155,000 miles that had an oil consumption issue. It was around 1 1/2 qts per 9500 mile oil change interval. My MDX didn't qualify for the TSB for the piston/cylinder ring replacement because the oil consumption needed to be closer to 1 qt per 1000 miles.

I don't know if the 2.0L turbo oil consumption is the same as the 3.7L V6 engines? The oil consumption wasn't as widely known when I purchased my 11 MDX used with 30,000 miles and the warranty fix came much later. I did switch to full syn Mobil 1 oil on my first oil change and my oil consumption rate hasn't change during ownership.

Checking & adding oil and other fluids, checking PSI, replacing wipers, rotation/balance/alignments, and checking engine/cabin filters are just normal things I do maintain my vehicles in-between scheduled maintenance trips.
Start by abandoning your 10,000 mile oil change interval. If you want low oil consumption and a long lived engine.

Especially with Turbo engines, such long oil change intervals are sure to lead to trouble.

Astrobuf

· Registered
144 Posts
Again, I don't feel that 1.5 quarts per 9500 miles should be considered an issue.
My 06 TSX (5000 OCI with +176,000 miles), 08 RDX (5000 OCI with +200,000 miles), 18 RLX hybrid (9500 OCI, 24,000 miles) and 19 MDX (9500 OCI with +41,000 miles) don't use any oil between changes. I've got really spoiled with my previous and current Acura's with minimal amount of issues compared to Fords, Buicks, and Merkur I've had before and dumping them forever for Honda Accords and later Acura.

· Registered
144 Posts
Start by abandoning your 10,000 mile oil change interval. If you want low oil consumption and a long lived engine.

Especially with Turbo engines, such long oil change intervals are sure to lead to trouble.

Astrobuf
I use full syn oil after my first oil change after purchase for all my vehicles. The 11 MDX runs perfectly fine with the +/- 9500 mile OCI with Mobil 1. My oil consumption on my 11 MDX hasn't changed since purchased used at 30,000 miles back in 2014. You are telling me to not to take 5 minutes add +/- 1 qt of oil at about $7 at 5000-7000 miles and replace with $30 of 4.5 qts of oil+filter twice in 10,000 miles instead to just to end up in the exact same place I'm at now.

· Registered
198 Posts
I use full syn oil after my first oil change after purchase for all my vehicles. The 11 MDX runs perfectly fine with the +/- 9500 mile OCI with Mobil 1. My oil consumption on my 11 MDX hasn't changed since purchased used at 30,000 miles back in 2014. You are telling me to not to take 5 minutes add +/- 1 qt of oil at about $7 at 5000-7000 miles and replace with $30 of 4.5 qts of oil+filter twice in 10,000 miles instead to just to end up in the exact same place I'm at now.
Under normal operating conditions, excess oil consumption is generally a mechanical problem. In the majority of cases where oil consumption problems have been investigated, it usually turns out to be a leak issue – either the valve cover gasket is leaking, crankshaft seals leaking, or one of the main seals is leaking.

· Registered
144 Posts
Under normal operating conditions, excess oil consumption is generally a mechanical problem. In the majority of cases where oil consumption problems have been investigated, it usually turns out to be a leak issue – either the valve cover gasket is leaking, crankshaft seals leaking, or one of the main seals is leaking.
I've been pretty lucky with my 11 MDX and haven't had any fluid leaks (brake, coolant, oil, A/C, P/S) or any mechanical/electronic issues from powertrain, A/C, alternator, starter, 1st Gen Acurawatch tech, HIDs, info-tainment, etc.. I decided to cut bait and sell my 11 MDX Adv+Ent while it is working 100% (only put around 5000 miles in the last two years on it).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts