Acura World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 RSX (Base)

Hi All,
I live in California and I believe I need to replace my worn catalytic converter. I've been getting cope P0420 and have already replaced both O2 sensors but the code keeps popping up.

I was told I would have to replace the catalytic converter but a local Midas Muffler shop told me its got two catalytic converters....is that true?

I was assuming the catalytic converter that goes bad is the one where both the oxygen sensors go. Midas charges around $400 to replace my Cat, while the dealer wants $1100 for a new one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I'm only seeing one.

Just a word to the wise....there's a valid reason why the aftermarket converters are a lot cheaper......they contain a lot less of the materials needed to create carbon dioxide out of carbon monoxide. I've had experiences where a customer buys an aftermarket converter, then the MIL comes on in a couple months, and they drive themselves crazy replacing sensors and doing different things only to find that the part they installed was again defective.

If you do go in that direction, express these concerns to the service writer, and get a very good warranty on the part.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts