• Yes

Votes: 441 86.3%
  • No

Votes: 70 13.7%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
I've had two Acuras, an '01 CL-S and '04 TL, and will certainly consider getting another one...but I will likely lean towards a Lexus or Infiniti next time around. As far as Acuras go, I am only interested in the TL and MDX. For me, the only major disappointments with my TL -- so far -- are the damn rattles and the FWD. I would definitely be willing to pay more for the TL if it were made in Japan where quality control is not taken lightly.

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
nastinupe1 said:
I'm switching to MB, BMW, or Lexus for the customer service aspect. I have not been treated well by Acura at all. But as a Honda owner I wasn't treated well then either. So I'm not suprised.
I guess it all depends on where you live and/or what dealer you use. My dealer has always been VERY helpful and courteous.

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
ekimevil said:
which lexus would you consider in lieu of your TL?
I really like the GS. I know it costs more than the TL so it's really not in the same class, but it also has more than ANYTHING Acura has to offer.

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
TampaTL said:
We have a 06 GS and an 05 Avalon LTD in the family corral. They are wonderful cars (as is the TL). My opinion is Toyota / Lexus delivers more on the refinement and interior assembly (that is only where I notice quality variances) where Honda / Acura have a bit more performance focus. The GS would be my choice over the TL, but I am not sure I feel it justifies a 15K premium over the TL after driving the 2 vehicles side by side.

For my tastes, a bit more focus on the assembly details would warrant a price increase with Acura. I would gladly pay a few more K for a refined Acura than 10-15K more for the Lexus.

Features and content aside, Acura can claim anything about their brand, content, value and precision engineering. But that is easily disappated from my perception when I hear the interior complaining as I drive down the road. The interior of my '02 Isuzu makes no complaints, even as I bounce down the road.
:werd:

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
nastinupe1 said:
When I test drove an 06 GS I was really impressed. The car handled better, it had more features like power steering wheel, better seats, more space, better paint quality, better sound system, better interior lighting, better Navigaion system, Better build quality, more powerful engine, as well as the much plusher service center and award winning customer service. Also, Lexus also beats out Acura and Honda for reliability as has so ever since its' inception.

I didn't buy a Lexus this time because the old GS was not as good of a car as the new TL and the 2003 GS and 2005 TL were two cars that I was comparing when I was car shopping. Also, the 2006 IS and new BMW 3 Series was too small, the new M was too expensive, the old M was just plain hedious, the 525 was way over priced for its' 187 hp engine and bland interior, the CTS was American, the 2003 Range Rover couldn't be trusted, the Range Rover Sport was too expensive, the VW Jetta and Passat were too ghey, the Accord was too bland, the Maxima was too... well Nissanish ( I can't explain it but I am sure that you guys feel me), the Charger was too redneckish and/ or ghetto, the 300C was too... ghettofabolous, the Camary was too "I have no class and I have 2.3 children and live in the suburbsish", the TSX was underpowered, the RL' s exterior was too mundane, and last but not least, the old TL had an ugly interior compared to the new body style. I actually still like its' extrior just as much as the new body style, especially with the ground effects.
I absolutely hate the new BMW design...for every model. With that said, the BMW 3-series is too small for me, as is the Lexus IS (which is a very nice car!). I want to stick with a sedan, but it needs to have at least as much leg and head room in the back as my TL does.

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
enigma said:
bralio, have you owned/driven a Lexus? :)
What's your point?

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
TampaTL said:
I think it is simply the marketing approach each manufacturer decides upon to identify themselves from each other.

Although there is fierce competition to 'one up' each other, and they will follow the buyers demands, ulltimately if they did not make clear decisions as to what to manufacture uniquely, then all cars and manufactuers would be the same.

My personal observations with Toyota and Lexus has been focused on the refinement / reliablility of their vehicles. Most of the newer technology has been added by competitive pressure more than by trying to be leading edge. I personally like that Toyota / Lexus tend to deliver it right, tried and true (not all cases, obviously). I call Camrys 'refrigerators on wheels'. Like an appliance, just plug em in, and they work. Lexus takes the refinement to the nth degree and where comfortable adds technology to be market competitive.

With Honda / Acura, the value and content (along with reliability) seems to be more of their approach. I find Hondas 'smart', well balanced value, performance, efficiency, safety, reliability, etc. Acura is well into the technology race with the TL being a dramatic statement of that philosophy. I don't find Honda / Acura as refined as Toyota/Lexus, but I find them more technologically advanced, more edgey and lean more towards engines & performance than Toyota / Lexus.

I also believe all manufacturers are slipping on quality. I believe there is more a race of content and new technology to impress the buyer (while riding on a reputation of quality). 10 years ago, it was ALL about quality in brand reputation. Today you hear more about the newest features, content, performance and value. The references of quality seem to be based on historic reputation. If the focus is to stuff as mutch gadgetry in the vehicle impresses the buyer, then maybe a slight in quality will go unnoticed? I do know a rattle in my TL is noticed and it does affect my perception of a 'premium' brand & quality.

Obviously, the race to add content does not typically allow for this technology to be optimumly integrated or tried and true. It opens the door for quality issues (at least a perception of quality). Technology is impressive, but in our leading edge thirst, it may not be reliable. An IT associate of mine often reminds me that leading edge technology is fragile. An interesting paradox I see affecting our automobiles (including high tech assembly).

But like most people, I want it all. I want the edginess off the TL. I want all the wizbang features. I also want my interior assembled by Lexus (for the Acura price)! :uhh:
I agree with everything you've stated here. As for the last paragraph, keep on dreamin'. :bash:

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
Wow, I hope Acura uses this info wisely!

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
Yeah...and at least I can write a comprehensible sentence using English as it was tought to me in school. This is a web forum, save the "iSpeak" (as I call it) for the chat rooms and text messaging. Thank you and have a nice day. :)

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
^^Ehh you guys can take it to PM if you will, thank you.

Anywho, I'm on the fence on this one. The new G35 sport would be the car I would possibly consider as my next auto. I like the new design and the features i.e. push button keyless start etc.
Exactly. Let's end the comments about the "other" forum and all of the attacks. You've been warned. Have a nice day. :)

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
The Legend is in the class of RL..... not TL.

;)
That's not exactly correct. The Legend is the ancestor of the RL. However, the 3rd gen TL has surpassed the latest model Legend in every category.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts