• Yes

Votes: 443 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 70 13.6%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I will certainly consider another Acura, along with Lexus and Infinity. If Acura makes a step up with interior build assembly, I would be 100% content. But the buzzing, rattling and ticks do everything to remove the perception of a premium brand. It puzzles me how much Honda / Acura can focus on details like a solar sensing HVAC system and miss the most obvious perception of quality with the interior assembly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We have a 06 GS and an 05 Avalon LTD in the family corral. They are wonderful cars (as is the TL). My opinion is Toyota / Lexus delivers more on the refinement and interior assembly (that is only where I notice quality variances) where Honda / Acura have a bit more performance focus. The GS would be my choice over the TL, but I am not sure I feel it justifies a 15K premium over the TL after driving the 2 vehicles side by side.

For my tastes, a bit more focus on the assembly details would warrant a price increase with Acura. I would gladly pay a few more K for a refined Acura than 10-15K more for the Lexus.

Features and content aside, Acura can claim anything about their brand, content, value and precision engineering. But that is easily disappated from my perception when I hear the interior complaining as I drive down the road. The interior of my '02 Isuzu makes no complaints, even as I bounce down the road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I admire BMW, but just can't make that leap of 'gotta have it'. The current styling trend is too Batmobile for me, and I cannot take it serious. The interiors bore me.

I am impressed with what Nissan / Infinity is doing stylingwise. I am not a fan of the interiors & materials....but like them overall.

I do like the L-Finesse styling that Lexus has adopted with the GS, IS and next the ES & LS. It is interesting, I see a family resemblance in the line up but it doesn't seem gimmicky. I see them adding a bit more adrenaline into the stylining.

Now the TL styling was a big leap from Acuras conservative trend. Enough so, I see the TL design features now a benchmark for the Honda family. The new Civic intrigues me as much as the TL did when I 1st stared at it in a late 03 autoshow. If this is true, I see the Honda / Acura family delivering that edginess that draws me in more than Toyota / Lexus. I hope they can work that into the Accord (without taking shine off the TL). The Accord (sedan) is the weakest link (style-wise)...GOOD-BYE!

·
Registered
111 Posts
acurainfowiz said:
I probably will not buy another Acura unless they were going to produce a V8. My wife works for Honda/Acura in the IT Dept and she heard that they scrapped the V8 project and invested those R&D dollars in their Aerospace Division. So I guess they are not coming with a v8 and that would be the main reason I will not buy another Acura. Plus for a car that is suppose to compete in the luxury-mkt they should have made the interior with better quality.
Ahhh...love insider info! Prolly not her area of intelligence...but I wonder if Acura is planning to address the interior assembly? They MUST be hearing enough about it to not seek improvements? Anyone read, hear or know of Acura's acknowledgement of this issue?:bash:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quality vs. Features?

I think it is simply the marketing approach each manufacturer decides upon to identify themselves from each other.

Although there is fierce competition to 'one up' each other, and they will follow the buyers demands, ulltimately if they did not make clear decisions as to what to manufacture uniquely, then all cars and manufactuers would be the same.

My personal observations with Toyota and Lexus has been focused on the refinement / reliablility of their vehicles. Most of the newer technology has been added by competitive pressure more than by trying to be leading edge. I personally like that Toyota / Lexus tend to deliver it right, tried and true (not all cases, obviously). I call Camrys 'refrigerators on wheels'. Like an appliance, just plug em in, and they work. Lexus takes the refinement to the nth degree and where comfortable adds technology to be market competitive.

With Honda / Acura, the value and content (along with reliability) seems to be more of their approach. I find Hondas 'smart', well balanced value, performance, efficiency, safety, reliability, etc. Acura is well into the technology race with the TL being a dramatic statement of that philosophy. I don't find Honda / Acura as refined as Toyota/Lexus, but I find them more technologically advanced, more edgey and lean more towards engines & performance than Toyota / Lexus.

I also believe all manufacturers are slipping on quality. I believe there is more a race of content and new technology to impress the buyer (while riding on a reputation of quality). 10 years ago, it was ALL about quality in brand reputation. Today you hear more about the newest features, content, performance and value. The references of quality seem to be based on historic reputation. If the focus is to stuff as mutch gadgetry in the vehicle impresses the buyer, then maybe a slight in quality will go unnoticed? I do know a rattle in my TL is noticed and it does affect my perception of a 'premium' brand & quality.

Obviously, the race to add content does not typically allow for this technology to be optimumly integrated or tried and true. It opens the door for quality issues (at least a perception of quality). Technology is impressive, but in our leading edge thirst, it may not be reliable. An IT associate of mine often reminds me that leading edge technology is fragile. An interesting paradox I see affecting our automobiles (including high tech assembly).

But like most people, I want it all. I want the edginess of the TL. I want all the wizbang features. I also want my interior assembled by Lexus (for the Acura price)! :uhh:

·
Registered
111 Posts
The General said:
I agree with everything you've stated here. As for the last paragraph, keep on dreamin'. :bash:
Thanks for that wakeup call General! <saluting> :wavey:

I kinda figured sneeking a TL onto a Lexus assembly line would not go unnoticed. :cry:

·
Registered
111 Posts
bralio said:
To answer your question Enigma, yes I have driven a Lexus - but I've not owned one, no.

And I most certainly have to agree with TampaTL's comments as well
A) because he's right, and
B) because he's local :D
That was the FIRST time I have EVER been told I was right! <marking desktop calendar>...

OK, If I am local, I will buy the 1st round. Who else is in? :beerchug:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think Acura (as most car manufacturers do) are losing focus on quality in order to up the anty of content & technology. I recognize this is driven by market demands. But I think Acura (and Lexus, among others) are riding on a quality reputation they have relaxed focus on.

Personally, I would like to see improvements on build quality more than new features. As we all know technology is fragile, fickle and often inconsistent due to it's complexities and rapid evolution (and WE pay to be the BETA Testers!). I expect more issues from technology than how well something is screwed (or clipped) together.

I too, tend to believe Lexus does it a bit better (but not necessarily $$$ that much better!). I am less forgiving of the rattles in our new GS than I am on the tighter riding TL. But our last generation GS was less technology, but it was built like a vault. I wonder why we traded a rattle-less GS for a new generation GS that has been in the shop more than my TL??? :mad:

But I was re-reading an issue of Acura STYLE magazine about the building the TL. When they talk about the exacting measurements of the panel gaps the very example used (and in the photograph) was a technician QA'ing the glovebox door! I laughed aloud that that was the example they CHOSE to highlight! Have you ever seen two TLs with the same gap size in the glovebox doors? :mhihi: They STILL focus on the precision & quality of their products as the primary mission, but I don't buy that as being superior to most any other car manufacturer. Is it better than most, yeah...I'd say that. But not to the level they proclaim (IMHO).

I think the things Acura (and others) can manage, realistically, is just building it better (not just cheaper...oops, I meant more 'efficiently'). I just don't know at what point the market (us) will convey that message loud enough to convince them. I don't think I should have to pay $50K for a car that doesn't sound like it is coming unglued on all but the smoothest road surfaces. On the other hand, the GS was $50K, has a softer suspension tuning and has rattles they cannot even isolate! :bigcry:

I think the TL is still the best option in this market segment. And no car is perfect. But if Acura proclaims quality as mission 1, I think they have some explaining to do.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I DID...so YES!

Well being I just abought another Acura, I guess my answer is YES!

Today I pick up my 06 RL. The deal was amazing, and too good to pass up owning an RL. Did I need the RL? NO! If it was 50K, I would be cruising along with my TL.

But for a few K more than I paid for my TL, I get all I love of my TL and (for my tastes) much more. The RL immediately impresses me with build quality over the TL (particularly the interior) and the refinements in ride characteristics please me. That is not to say the ride characteristics of one is better than the other, just different.

In short the RL has the Acura fit and feel I expected in my TL. As much as I love my TL, it fell short on some assembly issues I had expected better from Acura (and a 35K car), primarily with interior buzzes, rattles, tics, pops, crunches and some fit issues. It just sounded cheap. And with the margin between the TL cost and the RL narrowed, it was a no brainer for me to take that on.

I expect the RL will better meet my expectations from Acura. It too is not a perfect car, but every thing I carp about with my TL seems improved upon with the RL (as it should). And not to start a flame war, but I do see a difference in Japanese assembled vehicles versus US assembly. At least it appeases me psycologically? I expect to have fewer detail issues with a Japan assembled vehicle. Have you read about Toyota's Japan exec reeming US plants for quality issues? I think this reinforces the Japan vs. US quality stigma further. But yeah, the Japanese have issues too.

Interestingly, when we returned home from Acura this weekend in our 05 Lexus GS, we both commented the GS was slightly nicer than the RL at 50+K. But an RL at 40K is the hands down choice. I clearly see strengths and weaknesses in both, but they are so close in most regards I still cannot justify the Lexus factor (significantly more $$$). As frustrated we have been with the GS quality issues (although Lexus service remains stellar), could it be we may have TWO RLs in our future? Oh god,,,please help us! :uhh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.