• Yes

Votes: 441 86.3%
  • No

Votes: 70 13.7%
201 - 220 of 254 Posts

·
Not a Moderator
2,043 Posts
i think i replied before, but i was recently looking at the 4th gen TL and for some reason i dont like the body styling and not a big fan of AWD with no RWD option. for me the 3rd gen was better. i am happy with Lexus and will most likely buy Lexus again (unless Acura comes out with some other TL).

·
Registered
30 Posts
My first Acura was a 96 2.5TL and I loved that car. Unfortunately I was the third owner of the car and I don't think the previous owners took care of it very well. I only got to put on about 10,000 miles before the transmission malfunctioned after which I sold it.

I drove a 96 Camry for two years after I sold the Acura, which was a fine car, but I recently bought an 05TL and couldn't be happier. I think I'm stuck with the brand for life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I definitely would.
In fact I will buy an Acura over an Infiniti on my next purhase. I bought a G35 back in July 06, and I just recently restored my 1997 Acura CL that I owned before the G35. It rides smoother and has LESS road noise than the G35. After replacing the CV Axle on the passenger side, the idle air control valve and changing out the transmission fluid and doing a tune up, this car drives great!!!. Anything made by Honda is built to last (if taken care of... I should say). An Acura/Honda makes a great investment.

·
10 Posts
Probably

2nd Gen TL was a great car, drove and rode great. 3rd Gen Tl - best looking car I have ever owned but i have had continuous probs with the ride / handling. Probably wouldn't buy based on that.
4th Gen TL - hate the looks, love the AWD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ive had 3 acura's. I got to say the acura drives alot better than my audi a4 i own. Ive had a 97 acura cl 3.0 than bought another one which was a 99 3.0 bought my audi in the middle and ended back at my 06 acura tl. the luxury and the quality for your dollar is a lot better than majority of the cars out there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm tired of buying and owning Acura/Honda. Right now I still have MDX, Modified Integra and my wife has a Civic. My DD is my Mercedes Benz that my wife think I gave it to her, lol. I do want a NSX-T or NSX-R if I can get it imported.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '04 TL has been the best car you could expect from a reliability point. Not a single repair, and 32mpg on the road to 'Vegas at 80 mph. No rattles, nothing! It is FAST FAST FAST - more than anyone needs, and it is still gorgeous and drives well, although now 5 years old.

However the car has several simple design flaws that really bother me.

1. (Main Gripe) The RIDE is far too stiff and noisy. If I wanted the A spec I would have bought it. The amount of road noise is unacceptable in a car of this cost and type.

And less importantly -
2. The highly touted audio system plays ONLY DTS surround DVDs in surround, despite that fact that they get the DTS 2-channel to surround converter software FREE with the DTS license. Big waste. The new ones have Dolby Surround which is far inferior, and now they pay for TWO licenses. What's the deal with that?

3. No DRLs or real fog lights (this has changed later)

4. No on-mirror turn signals, although they were included in the original brochure for the car. (This also changed later) They have side lights, but didn't bother to make them flash to alert drivers alongside.

5. Not enough thigh support in the seats. The seats in my Solara were far better. The BMW 5 that they are trying to imitate is also MUCH better in the seating.

And - a few other little things that they COULD have caught with a little more work, like the key fob jamming in your knee and the seat belt catch sticking between the seat and pillar when retracted and then rattling.

At the time I bought it, this was far and away the best car for the money. Now, I am not so sure, and the new ones with the cow-catcher front end are SO FUGLY I would be embarrassed to drive one. NO WAY I would replace this TL with a new one. I think that the Hyundai Genesis may be a much better deal for a near luxo sedan.

·
Not a Moderator
2,043 Posts
My '04 TL has been the best car you could expect from a reliability point. Not a single repair, and 32mpg on the road to 'Vegas at 80 mph. No rattles, nothing! It is FAST FAST FAST - more than anyone needs, and it is still gorgeous and drives well, although now 5 years old.

However the car has several simple design flaws that really bother me.

1. (Main Gripe) The RIDE is far too stiff and noisy. If I wanted the A spec I would have bought it. The amount of road noise is unacceptable in a car of this cost and type.
you can soften the ride with different shocks and perhaps with some 16" wheels with tires as wide/tall as oem, etc. but if i'm not mistaken the 3g TL was marketed as a sports sedan, not a luxury sedan. with my 04 i actually stiffened up the rear with a comptech rear swaybar, oz racing 18's wit some better falken tires, and i installed eibach springs with koni adjustable "yellow" shocks. the car went from feeling just ok to stick-like-glue when i drove it hard. i think for you that luxury feel, for the same time era, the lexus gs300 or acura rl would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow beaniemac, another person who traded a 98 2.3 CL for a 04-08 TL, from your pic it even looks like you got the same color TL I did :)

Acura is hard to overlook because of the value and excellent dealership experience (at least in my area). Acuras are known for excellent resale value and low depreciation and have nice styling and decent tech and performance.

One thing I like about Acura is the simplicity in the options, TL w/ Nav or without and that's that. With BMW or Mercedes if your buying used, good luck getting one with all the options you'd want and when you can't find one you would have to pay thousands more for a new one than what you would for a new Acura. Acura doesn't nickle and dime you with options like power seats, heated seats fold down back seat, moon roof etc... Acura may not have the brand cache that BMW or Mercedes have but I don't have the concern about repair costs that I would have with the BMW or Mercedes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would have gotten another one if they hadn't jacked over the TL design and upped the price 33+%. And now the new TSX is pretty much the 3rd Gen TL under the hood??? I'm all for improvements, but at least make an attempt to maintain the same general price-point. I'll just have to be happy driving my Royal Blue '06 TL for another 6 1/2 years and then hand it down to my son when he turns 16. Long live 3GTL!!!! My 1.324 cents (thanks Inflation)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess it all depends on where you live and/or what dealer you use. My dealer has always been VERY helpful and courteous.
....and from what I have observed and experienced how YOU as a customer approach the dealer and HONDA of America seems to matter. I have had a transmission replaced at NO COST to me on an eight (8) year old 85,000 mile Odyssey, with no extended warranty. When they tried to sell me an extended warranty I asked them if I needed one? I can buy a cheaper Ford and buy the warranty but I wanted a Honda because I did not expect to be needing it! Honda has always treated me fair, but I never asked for crazy $#!t either!!!

·
GO RANGERS!!!!
12,439 Posts
I loved my CLS and tried to keep it from being totaled by the evil insco. I wanted rwd or I'd be driving an Acura today.

Having gotten a 350z and dealing with atrocious Nissan dealers I really wish I had gotten another Acura.

201 - 220 of 254 Posts