• Yes

Votes: 441 86.3%
  • No

Votes: 70 13.7%
221 - 240 of 254 Posts

·
Car nut.
63 Posts
I've just bought my 2nd one - a used 2007 TL Type S with 44K. I traded my 2002 TL-S on it. We looked at many other cars over the past year and could find nothing that was better or that we could agree on (the Mrs and I). We looked at Civic, Accord (I've had 4), Hyundai, Lexus 250 & 350, Subaru, VW Jetta TDI, VW CC, VW Passat, Benz C-class, BMW 3-series and maybe a few others I forget. None were better than our '02 TL-S. Some of the dealers were the pits. We were soooo frustrated as there was no-way we were going to buy a beak-face new TL. That's the ugliest car on the road.

We had exhausted every car we could think of. I'd given up.

For some reason we started to think "used" and keyed in on a car that looked good to us - the 3rd series TL. A trip to out dealer for a re-call was the turning point. I truly believe things happen for a reason and usually it's a good reason. I was telling the dealership GM about my frustrations and he mentioned a used 2007 TL Type S with just 44K on the clock that was sitting on the lot. Long story short - we borrowed it overnight and the next day we bought it.

The dealership has always been really good with us and we felt comfortable with them. This new transaction hasn't changed that impression.

Is it perfect? No, but neither were all the other cars we tried or considered. It's an acceptable compromise and the others weren't.

·
GO RANGERS!!!!
12,439 Posts
Yes yes 1000 times yes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my last Acura. In 35 years of driving I thought my 2003 TL was the best car ever. The premium gas it uses did not use to be an issue. However,with everybody sharpening their pencils and watching their finances it bothers me to pay the extra bucks to the oil companies. Many people told me I could drop to to the mid grade gas. NOT! I have even noticed a difference in performance with the 10% ethanol now in 95% of all grades of gasoline. I have had numerous tune-ups and tried different additives, but it is not worth the effort.

The Acura dealership here in SC is stuck in the 1980's, somewhat snobbish. Salesman with cufflinks, etc. And, my god, you never know how much it is going to cost to get your car serviced. I have always been of the opinion that folks "with money" feel that the more they spend on something the better the product or service will be. Acura has tapped into this market. EG: "If you have to ask how much, well maybe you shouldn't be driving an Acura."

I have spent a small fortune servicing my TL and I thought it was in tip top shape. Yesterday the transmission completely went out. I drove into the dealership in REVERSE! Oh Well. I'm going to buy me a cowboy hat and buy me a Ford F-150 pickup truck with leather seats. I'll Trade in my jazz CD's and buy some country stuff. Good bye Acura. You cost way to much to have fun. I'm keeping the $$ to myself. :thefinger

·
Not a Moderator
2,043 Posts
MajorCordite,
you have a 2003 TL? wouldnt that be a 2nd gen TL? this is a 3rd gen forum...

wasnt there known trans issues with 2nd gen's? sorry to hear about the issues. i think the car companies are struggling to make solid issue-free products. my 2010 corolla xrs is currently at the dealer getting a 2nd engine installed, 1st factory engine had a cracked engine block, 2nd engine (short block install) didnt last 10k miles.

·
57 Posts
I just got through doing the 105,000 mile maintenence on my 04 TL.

I have to say it's a pretty incredible machine in engineering. I did all the valves and they were all no more than a couple of thousandths out of spec (Exhausts a little tight and intakes a little loose) but I was *really* impressed with the valve actuating system in the V-TEC motor. Very cool. In fact, way cool!

I did all the belts, water pump and plugs. Belts were in good shape, actually, but I replaced them anyway. Plugs were in remarkably good shape but I changed them anyway, too.

I've been running regular (87 oct) in the thing, giving up a little performance for savings of about .30 cents a gallon. The knock sensor in the car retards the timing to prevent engine knock, so...what the heck? I don't race the car at all. In fact, I'm very gentle with it. And I still manage 30+ mpg on the highway with regular fuel.

If there's any caution, I'd say that if you have an AT in your car, *be religious about changing the fluid every 15-20 thousand miles.* The tolerances on these modern ATs are too close to allow a lot of crud to accumulate in the tranny, and it's important that the fluid be in good shape in order to lubricate it properly.

So now, having dug into the car for the first time, I'm more convinced that Acura has a very good product in the 3rd Gen cars and I'd have no problem buying another one (But I don't expect I will for a long, long time.)

I still like the luxury touches and the sport suspension in the car. It does the turns like its on a rail going through mountain passes and such.

Like any other piece of machinery, the harder you are on it, the sooner it's going to break down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my TL on Halloween 2003. Less than one year old and was t-boned. (15,000 repair) 2005 and a deer tried jumping over the car. (new window, roof, sunroof, etc. rear ended last year. 125,000 miles and runs great, quiet ride. The only problem is the headlights.:beerchug:

·
Registered
7 Posts
i love my 05 tl. i would definatly buy another tl but it would be the 09+ body style. that thing is ugly. only regret i have is not getting a manual tranny. buy next year or so i will buy a 3rd gen tl again but a type-s, i will put all my mods on it and sell my 05.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like my TL Type-S but I love my older BMW. The TL has awesome power and torque and luxury bang for buck, but the handling of my BMW is just more fun on the twisty roads. The TL is just too big of a car. I used to have a RSX Type-S and this would run better with my BMW than the TL. The newer models of TL's are of no interest to me as they seem to be getting larger and larger. Acura, please start paying attention to the weight of your cars! There are some enthusiasts still out there that like the brand

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to own a 1991 Integra - I was rear-ended while standing still on a freeway, was hit by an old Chevy SUV doing about 50mph. My wife was barely injured, I had some back and neck issues, but was told by several docs that the car must have been good b/c usually at that speed and being rear-ended would have resulted in much worse injuries. The crumple zones did their job.

Subsequently, I bought a 2004 RL w/83,000 miles on it. I've had it for a little over two years and have put 58,000 miles on it. I've not had it in the shop except for oil changes and new tires. I have a bad back, due to the accident involving the Intergra and my RL is the only car that I tried that had sufficient lumbar support. I test drove Lexus, BMW, Jaguar, Cadillac and Mercedes. The RL was heads above all the others in terms of comfort and handling. I thought the Lexus just felt cheap as well as the Caddy. The Jags I tried didn't give any lumbar support. Checking on the average repair bills of BMW and Mercedes made me run from those dealers' doorsteps. I'm not in to paying for a status symbol - just want a sound, safe, reliable car that is comfortable and quiet to ride in.

I'll never buy any car but an Acura, ever.

I also have had bad experiences with some Acura dealers. The dealer from which I bought the car, I'd never go back to. (Acura of Lynnwood) I did find another Acura dealer about 50 miles away and go to them any time I have a question. They are awesome. (Acura of Seattle)

I find this puzzling as Acura is such a great car I don't understand why they can't attract high quality staff in a job market that is flooded with talent.

In the end, I suppose one will find drawbacks no matter where and what type of car one buys. But I'm 100% sold on Acura.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is my last Acura. In 35 years of driving I thought my 2003 TL was the best car ever. The premium gas it uses did not use to be an issue. However,with everybody sharpening their pencils and watching their finances it bothers me to pay the extra bucks to the oil companies. Many people told me I could drop to to the mid grade gas. NOT! I have even noticed a difference in performance with the 10% ethanol now in 95% of all grades of gasoline. I have had numerous tune-ups and tried different additives, but it is not worth the effort.

The Acura dealership here in SC is stuck in the 1980's, somewhat snobbish. Salesman with cufflinks, etc. And, my god, you never know how much it is going to cost to get your car serviced. I have always been of the opinion that folks "with money" feel that the more they spend on something the better the product or service will be. Acura has tapped into this market. EG: "If you have to ask how much, well maybe you shouldn't be driving an Acura."

I have spent a small fortune servicing my TL and I thought it was in tip top shape. Yesterday the transmission completely went out. I drove into the dealership in REVERSE! Oh Well. I'm going to buy me a cowboy hat and buy me a Ford F-150 pickup truck with leather seats. I'll Trade in my jazz CD's and buy some country stuff. Good bye Acura. You cost way to much to have fun. I'm keeping the $$ to myself. :thefinger
WOW! so an Acura can make you decide to start liking other types of music?

:wtf:

Someone wearing cufflinks is inherently bad?

It is true that one must buy 92 octane or above in Acura luxury cars, but is this somethihng that came as a surprise to you? Good engines require good gasoline, I'm sure you can run gas bought at your local 7-11 through your Ford F-150. enjoy your new ride!

PS I think you're not an Acura owner at all.

221 - 240 of 254 Posts