Votes: 443 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 70 13.6%
101 - 120 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I DID...so YES!

Well being I just abought another Acura, I guess my answer is YES!

Today I pick up my 06 RL. The deal was amazing, and too good to pass up owning an RL. Did I need the RL? NO! If it was 50K, I would be cruising along with my TL.

But for a few K more than I paid for my TL, I get all I love of my TL and (for my tastes) much more. The RL immediately impresses me with build quality over the TL (particularly the interior) and the refinements in ride characteristics please me. That is not to say the ride characteristics of one is better than the other, just different.

In short the RL has the Acura fit and feel I expected in my TL. As much as I love my TL, it fell short on some assembly issues I had expected better from Acura (and a 35K car), primarily with interior buzzes, rattles, tics, pops, crunches and some fit issues. It just sounded cheap. And with the margin between the TL cost and the RL narrowed, it was a no brainer for me to take that on.

I expect the RL will better meet my expectations from Acura. It too is not a perfect car, but every thing I carp about with my TL seems improved upon with the RL (as it should). And not to start a flame war, but I do see a difference in Japanese assembled vehicles versus US assembly. At least it appeases me psycologically? I expect to have fewer detail issues with a Japan assembled vehicle. Have you read about Toyota's Japan exec reeming US plants for quality issues? I think this reinforces the Japan vs. US quality stigma further. But yeah, the Japanese have issues too.

Interestingly, when we returned home from Acura this weekend in our 05 Lexus GS, we both commented the GS was slightly nicer than the RL at 50+K. But an RL at 40K is the hands down choice. I clearly see strengths and weaknesses in both, but they are so close in most regards I still cannot justify the Lexus factor (significantly more $$$). As frustrated we have been with the GS quality issues (although Lexus service remains stellar), could it be we may have TWO RLs in our future? Oh god,,,please help us! :uhh:

·
Registered
197 Posts
TampaTL said:
Well being I just abought another Acura, I guess my answer is YES!

Today I pick up my 06 RL. The deal was amazing, and too good to pass up owning an RL. Did I need the RL? NO! If it was 50K, I would be cruising along with my TL.

But for a few K more than I paid for my TL, I get all I love of my TL and (for my tastes) much more. The RL immediately impresses me with build quality over the TL (particularly the interior) and the refinements in ride characteristics please me. That is not to say the ride characteristics of one is better than the other, just different.

In short the RL has the Acura fit and feel I expected in my TL. As much as I love my TL, it fell short on some assembly issues I had expected better from Acura (and a 35K car), primarily with interior buzzes, rattles, tics, pops, crunches and some fit issues. It just sounded cheap. And with the margin between the TL cost and the RL narrowed, it was a no brainer for me to take that on.

I expect the RL will better meet my expectations from Acura. It too is not a perfect car, but every thing I carp about with my TL seems improved upon with the RL (as it should). And not to start a flame war, but I do see a difference in Japanese assembled vehicles versus US assembly. At least it appeases me psycologically? I expect to have fewer detail issues with a Japan assembled vehicle. Have you read about Toyota's Japan exec reeming US plants for quality issues? I think this reinforces the Japan vs. US quality stigma further. But yeah, the Japanese have issues too.

Interestingly, when we returned home from Acura this weekend in our 05 Lexus GS, we both commented the GS was slightly nicer than the RL at 50+K. But an RL at 40K is the hands down choice. I clearly see strengths and weaknesses in both, but they are so close in most regards I still cannot justify the Lexus factor (significantly more $$$). As frustrated we have been with the GS quality issues (although Lexus service remains stellar), could it be we may have TWO RLs in our future? Oh god,,,please help us! :uhh:
Quick question... you stated that you have an 05 GS. That's the old body style GS right? And you also mentioned that the 05 is a better vehichle than the new RL? That's saying a lot about Lexus for a car that was released in 1997 to beat out a car that was released in 2005.

·
Registered
197 Posts
TampaTL said:
My mistake. The GS is an 06 model (current generation).
Oh ok... that makes more sense. The "new" GS is a great car. But that new LS is going to be sick. I have to have one of those. That car is going to change the game. But at $90,000 for the LS600h and it's high resale potential, it's going to be a while before I can get my hands on one of those babies.

But I also read that Lexus is about to release the IS500 with over 400 hp! That is going to be awesome as well! Not to mention the LF-A supercar.

Oh yea... I almost forgot, this is an Acura board............... so what about that RDX fellas? We have so much to be proud of! The new Acura line up is sooooo exciting :sleeping:

Lexus may as well do this to Acura... :slap:

I mean, :wtf: Is Acura a bunch of :loser: or what? Make some car's to make me drool please.

·
The Crushinator
7,909 Posts
nastinupe2 said:
Oh ok... that makes more sense. The "new" GS is a great car. But that new LS is going to be sick. I have to have one of those. That car is going to change the game. But at $90,000 for the LS600h and it's high resale potential, it's going to be a while before I can get my hands on one of those babies.

But I also read that Lexus is about to release the IS500 with over 400 hp! That is going to be awesome as well! Not to mention the LF-A supercar.

Oh yea... I almost forgot, this is an Acura board............... so what about that RDX fellas? We have so much to be proud of! The new Acura line up is sooooo exciting :sleeping:

Lexus may as well do this to Acura... :slap:

I mean, :wtf: Is Acura a bunch of :loser: or what? Make some car's to make me drool please.
I agree with you for the most part, but you have to admit, it's going to be hard to make a car or cars that make you drool for a huge portion of the demographic. People are cheap and/or don't make enough money for those new Lexus', and no company let alone Acura is going to build a car with ALL of those amenities/sport features/luxury features plus that build quality for under 30K... I friggin wish they would, cuz it sucks that it isn't that way. Just be patient, Acura will come out with some new cars that will impress you, they have to to stay competitive and Honda's not going anywhere... so just be patient :thumbsup:

·
52 Posts
Might go to a Lexus

I was really thinking I might get a new TL in 2009 but after test driving the 2006 model, I'm feeling like they aren't ready yet.

I wanted a car that could get 40 MPG highway but the rumors are that they are going for more speed than MPG. I'd need 40mpg to use the HOV on the highway. Based on the Camry - I'd say Lexus understands that magic number.

I have a 2001 TL which has very poor sound insulation. The 2006 has slightly better sound insulation but it could definitely be better like the Lexus.

·
Registered
197 Posts
boe said:
I was really thinking I might get a new TL in 2009 but after test driving the 2006 model, I'm feeling like they aren't ready yet.

I wanted a car that could get 40 MPG highway but the rumors are that they are going for more speed than MPG. I'd need 40mpg to use the HOV on the highway. Based on the Camry - I'd say Lexus understands that magic number.

I have a 2001 TL which has very poor sound insulation. The 2006 has slightly better sound insulation but it could definitely be better like the Lexus.
Acura is a funny brand. It's better than a lot of car companies in a lot of things, but then it sucks in so many others. Picking an Acura really depends on what your priorities are in a car.

If you're for gadgets at a low price, then this car is for you. If you're for agressive styling then this car is for you. But if you're about a tight transmission, great handling, build quality, or power, then you will probably be disappointed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
jonnymusic said:
I love my '04 Tl but when my lease is up, Im going for a BMW. 5 Series at least if not the M5. We will see. Im ready for a higher class and the RL does not cut it for me. Its ugly. If it were nicer, I would have gotten it instead of my TL!
I'm not going that far up the ladder (5 series/M5), but I'm seeing a 335i coupe in my future if I can talk the wifey into European Delivery.

Our '04 TL is basically her car and we'll probably keep it since we haven't had many of the problems other owners have had, with the notable exception of going through three sets of tires in 50K miles. Major ball drop by Acura on tire/alignment issues. :misslefir

·
437 Posts
I'm not going that far up the ladder (5 series/M5), but I'm seeing a 335i coupe in my future if I can talk the wifey into European Delivery.

Our '04 TL is basically her car and we'll probably keep it since we haven't had many of the problems other owners have had, with the notable exception of going through three sets of tires in 50K miles. Major ball drop by Acura on tire/alignment issues. :misslefir

3 sets of tires!!! I have the A SPEC tires and they are lasting around 20k.

·
Black 99TL
475 Posts
My car

1999 TL Black
kilometers on it: 115,000
Mods: H&R Sport Springs, 18inch wheel/tires for summer.
Problems had with this car: Automatic door lock actuators failed, was replaced under warrenty.
Car is still rattle free and looks and drives new. Have down regular maintainece.

Happy with car: YES
Will I buy another Acura: YES

:beerchug:

·
11 Posts
I just bought my 2nd Acura. Went from an 04 TSX to a 06 TL. Deal was too good to pass up. I really liked the TSX, anthough I did need something bigger. The TL is only 2 weeks old - and so far it's great!

Stan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Acura is a funny brand. It's better than a lot of car companies in a lot of things, but then it sucks in so many others. Picking an Acura really depends on what your priorities are in a car.

If you're for gadgets at a low price, then this car is for you. If you're for agressive styling then this car is for you. But if you're about a tight transmission, great handling, build quality, or power, then you will probably be disappointed.
I'll take it a step further If you're for gadgets, agressive styling, tight transmission, great handling, power and a superb motor at a low price, then this car is for you. But if you're about build quality then you will probably be disappointed.

·
54 Posts
Build quality...my RL is gettin old and still nothing goes wrong with it, other than some normal brake stuff a month or two ago. The tranny isn't very tight however....and it feels lazy :) (THE ONLY rattle/shake i have is when i have my music on and subwoofers going...something behind the passsenger seats vibrates when it thumps.....i have no idea how to disassemble my seats to fix it, and it drives me nuts...its prolly a bunch of wires vibrating or something annoying) little things like that....

Either acura doesn't know that they're settling for middle of the road, or they don't care....i'm not sure which one.

I truly do like Acuras...(cept for that blasted stumpy rsx which is now dead).....however. Lexus seems to be more on key with what everyone wants in a car..offering more options, (gotta love the adjustable air suspension) engines, technology (self parking), and better quality....Acura still hasn't put out a V8 which is a little unsettling...considering GM has oversized and underpowered piece of shit V8's that people buy up like crazy. Lexus's new 4.6L V8 is a rather small V8 and almost hits 400HP without turbos AND gets amazing mileage....UNTIL Acura adds a few more cyls, and gets with the picture...oh and makes the new RL look like it's actually worth 50K...my next car will be a Lex. :)

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
29 Posts
Had a '90 Integra for 10 years...loved it
Have an '04 TL...still love it after 3 (full) years
Wife wants to get an '07 MDX next year when prices get better.
So the answer is definitely yes!

101 - 120 of 254 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.