Acura World banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Running on LPG
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a short how-to for installation of an AUX-IN module to the factory radio in a 99 RL w/o navigation.

Important notice:
This is my personal step by step guide on installing the sound module. Although the whole installation is very easy, do it on your own risk.

What kind of a sound module is this?

It is a single AUX-IN module, which replaces the aux-in of the factory CD changer.

What do you need for this installation beside such a module?

Not much, maybe your best pal, some patience, dexterity, 20 minutes of your time and a wrench.

PREPARATIONS:
Before you start this installation, remove the disc changer magazine! Afterwards there won’t be any voltage available to take it out, so don’t forget it!

1. Turn off the engine and ignition. Apply parking brake.
2. Remove the carpet panels to the left and right of the console. Watch out for those clips! They sometimes do not hold on to the panels and might get lost.

3. Remove the select lever cover by pulling gently on both ends. The cover is mounted on four clips. Again, watch out for those clips! See the pale blue arrows on the screenshot.

4. Unplug the connectors and take out the bulb for gear panel illumination.

5. Remove the wood cover by lifting it up and pulling out towards back of the car. This cover is also mounted on clips (see the red circle on the screenshot).

6. Now we have access to the bolts holding the radio console. Unbolt the nuts with a wrench. Start with the both in front and continue with the both to the left and right of the console. See screenshots

7. The console is now ready to be taken out. Pull gently at the bottom and at the top. The console is hooked into the dashboard at the top. Be careful (blue arrows).

8. While taking the console out be very careful not to scratch the leather! The console’s edges are very sharp! See the red highlighted area. The blue arrows show the clamps which hold the console to the dashboard.

9. Now you have access to the cables from behind. Find the CD changer cable and unplug.

10. Plug in the AUX-IN adapter. Be sure the connection is tight. My adapter required to be grounded. I took the ground wire and wired it into the cigarette lighter. Follow the instructions attached to your AUX-IN adapter.

11. Find a place to put the audio wires out. I used the right carpet console. Later I will put the wires under the middle console.

12. You are done. Plug in a player (notebook, MP3, etc.), turn the radio on and switch to CD mode. The AUX-IN plays on CD01, title 01.
Have fun!

I tested my AUX-IN with my Nokia cel. phone and my IBM notebook. The sound quality with the Nokia phone was OK, much better than any FM transmitter. Then I hooked up the notebook and played an audio CD. Now the sound quality was very, very good. I was amazed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there anyway you can take out the radio unit from 1997 acura rl and insert an aftermarket car stereo in there? Any custom dash kit you can buy which will allow you to install an aftermarket stereo? My cd changer is in the back and its really a pain in the ass to change cds and furthermore it cannot play mp3.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I have a 1996 Acura RL (Non Premium and w/o Navigation) and would like to know if I have a AUX as stated above with out taking anything off? I was told by the dealership that I did not have because of my year and model, is that true? I don't have a CD changer in my trunk, and my stereo is a cassette/FM/AM radio. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey Luke,

Did you need to buy anything other than the PIE HON part? like RCA Cables, etc.? or is this part is all you need?

does the part you connected to the CD changer plug have the plug at the other end that will plug into the Ipod?

·
Running on LPG
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

I bought some cinch cable and a headphone plug for my MP3 player. that's all.

regarding the iPod connector: no, at least not in this case. maybe they have another modules, which are equipped with an iPod hook up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Im purchasing ISimple ISAS 71 adapter at best buy for $99 and have them put it in for another $50. I figure its worth it. Crutchfield has the same thing for $149 for just the parts. I guess with this, you can still use the factory controls including the controls on the steering as well as the actual IPOD itself as well as charging the ipod at the same time. Seeing as how my main relay is still dangling, I don't think I could handle your DIY write up!:lol: :mhihi: :mhihi:

This was the best and cheapest Ipod solution that I could find.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172880156098<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
440 Posts
Im purchasing ISimple ISAS 71 adapter at best buy for $99 and have them put it in for another $50. I figure its worth it. Crutchfield has the same thing for $149 for just the parts. I guess with this, you can still use the factory controls including the controls on the steering as well as the actual IPOD itself as well as charging the ipod at the same time. Seeing as how my main relay is still dangling, I don't think I could handle your DIY write up!:lol: :mhihi: :mhihi:

This was the best and cheapest Ipod solution that I could find.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172880156098<!-- / message -->
(looooove quoting myself!)
Hey guys, I just went and had this done to my 2000 RL w/o navi and my god does this sound good? When I turn the volume to same point as I had with CD, my Bose stereo sound much much better than the CD. Not sure what, why, how but Im telling you my stereo has more cleaner bass to it and sounds much better and louder than the CD player(mind you I happen to listen to lots of house, techno, trance music, think workout music as I mostly use my ipod when working out). I have the Ipod 80GB Video. The installer at Best Buy even said that he was surprised at how much better this sounds and he even said he's going to get this put in his vehicle right away even though his car has a Ipod plug on the in dash cd player. I can control the songs through my original factory system(steering wheel) as well as ipod while my ipod charges. It really really is Kick A$$ and money well spent! I highly recommend it. Less sports talk radio, more muzak! yippidi dooo!:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

P.S. and Luke, wouldn't you know it I totally forgot to tell the best buy guy to take the dam CD magazine out of the cd changer before he unplugged it!!! That was an excellent tip.

·
Running on LPG
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well done!
i also noticed an improvement on sound quality with the mp3 input I used compared to the CD changer.
But what you describe sound just amazing. when i was doing this mod today I'd go for the same sound module you did.

·
Registered
440 Posts
well done!
i also noticed an improvement on sound quality with the mp3 input I used compared to the CD changer.
But what you describe sound just amazing. when i was doing this mod today I'd go for the same sound module you did.
yeah, totally worth it luke, totally worth it! still amazed how great the factory oem system sounds. It came with "Bose" stereo system you know but the "Bose" part really comes through with the Ipod!

·
Registered
440 Posts
well done!
Luke, by the way, I printed out this DIY and gave it to the installer. He said it did help him in removing the panels quicker!(obviously still forgot to eject the 6 disc magazine still:mhihi: )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Luke,

Nice DIY. Could you post a link where I can purchase that AUX unit, please?
I live in Thailand, so I need to order it online only.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 49 Posts