Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have been lurking on the forums and trouble shooting my problem from topics I have found. My car starts to overheat after sitting in traffic for a while but maintains proper temperatures at cruising speed. My passenger side fan seems to work properly and always kicks on when the AC turns on but I get no juice out of the driver side fan at all.

I believe I can get the part online for about $50 and I was told installation cost from a local shop that is usually the cheapest would be $65.

Looking at the setup I was hoping I could do this myself as it is a simple electrical connect but I do not want to get started with disassembling the fan housings until I know what I am in for.

Has anyone done this before? What tools are needed? What precautionary advice can you offer?

Thanks a ton,
Travis

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Let's start with an explanation of how the system works....

Voltage is provided at all times to the radiator fan relay contacts through fuse 57 and to the condenser fan relay contacts through fuse 58. The radiator fan control module controls power to the coils of the relays.

The radiator fan control module is supplied battery voltage at all times through fuse 13 (in the passenger’s under-dash fuse/relay box). When the ignition switch is ON (II), voltage is also supplied to the module through fuses 3 and 6 (in the driver’s under-dash fuse/relay box).

The relays are grounded by either radiator fan switch A or the PCM. Grounding the relays
energizes their coils and applies battery voltage to the radiator and A/C condenser fan motors.

Both fans then run until ground is removed from the relay coils. If the engine coolant temperature is more than 104 C (219 F) when you turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), the radiator fan control module will turn on the radiator fan and let it run for about 15
minutes.

First thing, check the fuses I listed above. Next, I would do is jumper 12V to the fan itself to see if the fan is working. If the fan works, check for ground on the radiator fan switch. This switch is located in the thermostat housing. Follow the upper radiator hose to the block, and look for a switch screwed into the outlet with a big barrel shaped connector on it. I can't recall if it's one pin or two. Remove the connector, if it's two pins, jumper them both together to see if the fan comes on. If it's one, ground the pin.

Here's a diagram of the components in the system. Start there, and let us know how you make out :)

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts