Acura World banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No good. I've heard about tranny problems from many a TL driver. I've hoped that such a horrid thing would never happen to me. I kept on saying: "I have faith in Acura. How widespread could this transmission problem really be? How could a major car manufacturer with a respected reputation for reliability have a model-wide design flaw with their trannies? These reported transmissions issues must be isolated cases. "

I felt my tranny slip going from 2nd gear to 3rd gear a couple times this week. The engine revs, but the car doesn't go any faster when this happens. :( I've only got 32k miles on my car. Still in its infancy, transmission failure should not be affecting my baby TL. This just ain't right. It's like a teenager suffering a heart attack--it's just not normal. I feel betrayed by Acura/Honda. I've always told my friends how reliable Hondas/Acuras are. I just don't know if I can honestly say that anymore. :(

Time to visit the dealer to get a new tranny under warranty. :cry: I should have them fix my warped rotors at the same time too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Hey, at least it's not catching fire like the X5's were. :dunno:

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
hey that's really bad man.... go to the dealer and has it checked out. hopefully it's something like what sky encountered, and a new coil will correct the problem? or maybe they just have to flush the tranny couple of times and it will be find again

good luck, keep us posted man

·
Registered
500 Posts
Damn that sucks Josh.

Hope you wont need to get a whole new tranny installed. I thought the trany problem was affecting '02 Type S models. It never even occured to me that the '01 and '02 share the same tranny. hope they are able to take care of it without a lot of grief. Good luck. keep us updated on the outcome.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I take my car into the dealer, and of course, the tranny never slips. The whole time it's there, my car is on its best behavior and they can't duplicate the gear slipping problem.

The unfortunate thing is that they won't do anything unless they can duplicate the problem. So my car is returned to me with the still tempermental tranny. I have this fear that it will give out on me when I need it most and I'll be stuck in the middle of traffic, probably get rear-ended by the car behind me and then really need to summon a tow truck for my 1 1/2 year old Acura.

I told the service guy that, and he just says "sorry".

So what should I do now? It might be dangerous for me to drive it, knowing that the tranny could just clunk out on me at any time now.

:dunno:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Did they hook up diags? If any errors have been thrown they could tell without having to test drive it. Escalate the issue, talk to the Service Manager, and if he won't listen/help talk to General Manager. If you raise hell they will listen.

good luck

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Bebber said:
So I take my car into the dealer, and of course, the tranny never slips. The whole time it's there, my car is on its best behavior and they can't duplicate the gear slipping problem.

The unfortunate thing is that they won't do anything unless they can duplicate the problem. So my car is returned to me with the still tempermental tranny. I have this fear that it will give out on me when I need it most and I'll be stuck in the middle of traffic, probably get rear-ended by the car behind me and then really need to summon a tow truck for my 1 1/2 year old Acura.

I told the service guy that, and he just says "sorry".

So what should I do now? It might be dangerous for me to drive it, knowing that the tranny could just clunk out on me at any time now.

:dunno:
If you know you can duplicate it, tell the service writer that you want to do the test drive with the tech who will be working on your car. I did it, and they ordered my tranny for my CLS that same day.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They said that they really can't run any diagnostics unless the tranny is slipping and they can catch it acting up. Apparently there are no stored diagnostic codes they can access.

I tried test driving the car to demo the slipping tranny, but it just wouldn't slip at that time either. This is frustrating cause it doesn't slip all the time just occasionally. It might slip once or twice a day for me. Ugggh. I would be better off if the thing just straight up failed instead of this intermittent, fail when you least expect it, type of game. Meanwhile, all I can do is pilot my ticking time bomb hoping that it won't explode when I'm in the middle of rush hour traffic.:sqnteek:

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
well that's not bad coz' you will be stop and go, and most tranny failure, they can still drive but the tranny just doesn't shit to 2nd or higher....

it would be really bad if you are doing 80 on the freeway and the tranny give in

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
rominl said:
well that's not bad coz' you will be stop and go, and most tranny failure, they can still drive but the tranny just doesn't shit to 2nd or higher....

it would be really bad if you are doing 80 on the freeway and the tranny give in
Well - most of the trannies that failed locked into a gear, however, my tranny that failed was slipping in EVERY gear - very dangerous if you are trying to accelerate through an intersection.

Sounds like his is doing what mine did. I'd say you have 2-3 weeks best case before it dies alltogether. When it's more reliably slipping, bring it back and show em yourself. Mine NEVER threw a code.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
actually, just how does it feel when a tranny slips? the car choke? shake? you hear something? i wanna know how it really feels so i will know if mine is doing something weird...

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
rominl said:
actually, just how does it feel when a tranny slips? the car choke? shake? you hear something? i wanna know how it really feels so i will know if mine is doing something weird...
Just how a manual feels if you let the cluch slip - the RPMs climb, but the car doesn't accelerate or sometimes slows down.

·
TL-S Tranny Veteran
42 Posts
It feels like the car is "stuck" in gear. While accellerating onto the highway, for example the car will stay in third and not go fourth for either a long time, or until you deaccel and downshift.

At first, you will feel like you are imagining the problem. Then, it won't happen for a few days, and you feel relaxed, then BOOM. It happens again.

Finally, you get a bunch of lights on your dash and that's it!

I could actually drive the car with the light display, directly to the dealer. Others were not so lucky.

:-jon

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
Hey Josh,

So your tranny finally started acting funny, huh? Which dealership did you go to?

I think you should wait little bit longer. When you feel the tranny slips more frequently, then take it back.

Maybe you should try different dealership at that time.
Good luck buddy & keep us updated.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to Tustin Acura. I guess they were nice enough about it considering the circumstances.Yeah, you know your tranny is slipping when you give it gas and the engine revvs but the car doesn't move. It's a scary feeling, like if you were in neutral the whole time.

I'll just wait a lil' bit longer and let it fail completely. Good excuse for me to drive the car hard right now. vrooooom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
driving 40mph

I was driving at 40mph and in 4th gear (using SS). While cruising, the rpm's kept dipping 500 to 1000 on the tach for about 30seconds? That was 2 days ago and no probs. since. I just hope this isn't the infant stages of something more serious...
thanx all

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Re: driving 40mph

phatratpak said:
I was driving at 40mph and in 4th gear (using SS). While cruising, the rpm's kept dipping 500 to 1000 on the tach for about 30seconds? That was 2 days ago and no probs. since. I just hope this isn't the infant stages of something more serious...
thanx all
That just sounds like the torque converter locking and unlocking. What happens is when the torque converter unlocks, the flywheel is free to spin in the tranny fluid (like a regular automatic). When it locks up, the flywheel connects to the other side of the torque converter, and simulates how a manual clutch would work (but still with the losses of an automatic).

In other words, when the TC locks, any drop in speed will be followed by a subsequent drop in RPMS in a linear fashion. When the TC is unlocked, it will stay at a much lower RPM and not move much with a drop in speed, and will not be linear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.