Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is the LONG story....

About 1 1/2 month ago I ordered a new Clutch kit & Flywheel ($518.88) from Pacific BMW. The only reason I ordered the flywheel was because I was told about Top End Performance in North Hollywood and that they would be able to lighten the flywheel for $150 and that it was the best way to go for a lightweight flywheel for the E39 540i/6. On that advice I contacted Top End Perf. and was told that they have done these flywheels before.

After talking w/ Top End Perf. I called up Pacific BMW and purchased the flywheel/clutch kit/pilot bearings and got them sent over to Top End Perf. for the lightning process. After 3 1/2 weeks (they told me that it should take approx. 5-7 days) it was FINALLY sent out to me via UPS. Now guess what happened, UPS lost it!!

Top End Perf. filed a claim for it and ordered new parts from Pacific BMW about 1 1/2 weeks ago. They tell me that they are doing to flywheel again. I get a call today asking for my address. The guy from them slightly mentions in a mumbled voice "We weren't able to do your flywheel so we're send it you as original". What was the reason they couldn't do it was the next thing I asked and the guy said, "The last one that got lost didn't turn out too well so we didnt' feel like we should do this one".

I told them, "What was the point in me buying a new flywheel if you couldn't do it? My current flywheel in the car is perfect, I just wanted a lighter one."

They tell me, "We're sorry, try to return it, we can ship it to Pacific BMW and you can work out how to get the refund". I hang up with these pricks.

I call up Pacific and they tell me that they CANNOT return the part since its a special order part and are not allowed to accept returns.

Call up Top End Perf. again and speak w/ the guy in charge and he tells me "Well we can't give you credit for it since you purchased it in good knowledge" (or some BS like that). My next question was, "Why did you in the first place tell me that you could do it, and then after that, why did you order a new one since the last one didn't turn out good?". His response, "Ken, its funny how you are trying to turn this out to be my fault.".

I was very close to going over the edge, but since I was at work, really couldn't. I told him to ship out the parts to me ASAP and that I would advertise for them HONESTLY.

Now I'm out of $518.88 and have a stock flywheel coming to me. Time to look into Dinan :(

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Well, if by "lightening" they mean shaving it, just drive the 540 down to florida. I'll lighten it for ya with a few "clutch testing" runs. ;) :p

How does one lighten a flywheel except by buying a light flywheel???

Driven said:
Well here is the LONG story....

About 1 1/2 month ago I ordered a new Clutch kit & Flywheel ($518.88) from Pacific BMW. The only reason I ordered the flywheel was because I was told about Top End Performance in North Hollywood and that they would be able to lighten the flywheel for $150 and that it was the best way to go for a lightweight flywheel for the E39 540i/6. On that advice I contacted Top End Perf. and was told that they have done these flywheels before.

After talking w/ Top End Perf. I called up Pacific BMW and purchased the flywheel/clutch kit/pilot bearings and got them sent over to Top End Perf. for the lightning process. After 3 1/2 weeks (they told me that it should take approx. 5-7 days) it was FINALLY sent out to me via UPS. Now guess what happened, UPS lost it!!

Top End Perf. filed a claim for it and ordered new parts from Pacific BMW about 1 1/2 weeks ago. They tell me that they are doing to flywheel again. I get a call today asking for my address. The guy from them slightly mentions in a mumbled voice "We weren't able to do your flywheel so we're send it you as original". What was the reason they couldn't do it was the next thing I asked and the guy said, "The last one that got lost didn't turn out too well so we didnt' feel like we should do this one".

I told them, "What was the point in me buying a new flywheel if you couldn't do it? My current flywheel in the car is perfect, I just wanted a lighter one."

They tell me, "We're sorry, try to return it, we can ship it to Pacific BMW and you can work out how to get the refund". I hang up with these pricks.

I call up Pacific and they tell me that they CANNOT return the part since its a special order part and are not allowed to accept returns.

Call up Top End Perf. again and speak w/ the guy in charge and he tells me "Well we can't give you credit for it since you purchased it in good knowledge" (or some BS like that). My next question was, "Why did you in the first place tell me that you could do it, and then after that, why did you order a new one since the last one didn't turn out good?". His response, "Ken, its funny how you are trying to turn this out to be my fault.".

I was very close to going over the edge, but since I was at work, really couldn't. I told him to ship out the parts to me ASAP and that I would advertise for them HONESTLY.

Now I'm out of $518.88 and have a stock flywheel coming to me. Time to look into Dinan :(

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: I'm f'en pissed! Just got screwed!!!

autoxCLS said:

How does one lighten a flywheel except by buying a light flywheel???

I dunno. Thats why I was paying them the money to do it for me. They told me that they've done 540s before ("Many" is the proper word they used).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts