Acura World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope they are now car wash-proof :)

I took my RL to the dealer for the product update and on the way I decided to bring up the issue of the door handle sensor failure after going thru a high-pressure car wash. So, I stopped at a car wash on the way and ran the car thru prior to handing it over to the dealer for the update. Sure enough, the door handle sensors failed to work (lock the car) so I was able to conduct a show&tell with the service mgr.

They were puzzled but I informed them that I understood (from other posts in this nsg) that dealers were simply replacing the door handles as a "fix" for the problem. They told me they would "do their best" to find out what was going on.

They then gave me a loaner -- another '05 RL, identical color as mine. Something told me to check it before leaving with it, so I attempted to lock it via the door handle sensor. Ha! They didn't work either! Needless to say, I told the service mgr about it and he really became puzzled.

They kept the car beyond the time they installed the updates and told me they were on the "tech line" with Acura investigating the door handle sensor problem. They finally called me today and told me they were "overnighting" 2 brand new RL door handles to correct (hopefully) the post-car wash problem. Car should be ready for p/u tomorrow, with the new door handles and update.

In the meantime, do any of you who have had their door handles replaced as a fix for this problem find that the replacement handles were more car wash-resistant?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to not directly answer your question, but I find this car wash thing most strange. My RL's handles work perfectly after car washes (whether the wash is by hand or professional where the car is pulled through for half a block). Never ever had one problem with them since October 2004.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. Strange it is, indeed. The dealer's GM drives an RL home every night so I told him about my problems. He said his was washed at the dealership, but by hand (with a wand) and had never taken it to a car wash. I encouraged him to have it washed in a pull-(drive) thru car wash to see if will affect his door sensors. He told me he would and let me know. Yesterday I had a voicemail message from him: His sensors failed after going thru the carwash :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got the new handles installed and immediatey ran the car thru the first carwash I could find near the dealer. They seemed to work fine, for no problems with the handles' sensors. They locked just fine. Here's hoping....

Now, I did find a post-update change with the speed at which the XM unit refreshes the display following each change in play. Whereas prior to the update the display info on the screen refreshed in about 1-2 secs. after the next song/tune began, it now takes up to 25-35 secs. to do so...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, just over 2 weeks with the new door handles, along with 2 - 3 car washes, and no problems thus far. The original problem appears to have been resolved with the new handles.

·
Token Lexus Guy
1,487 Posts
It seems to be just a one off problem. Some other funny facts
1. A magazine had a long term 350Z and when it entered the car wash, since that cars door handles are vertical (and very easy to open), the car wash opened the door and the car got drenched with water and soap.
2. Another magazine had a Toyota Supra Turbo with the big wing and when they took it to get washed, it broke off the rear wing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts