Acura World banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing that I've been getting awful gas mileage. I do mostly city driving or moderate traffic highway driving. I've been getting between 150-200 miles per fillup, and i'm usually filling up right after the gas light comes on. It usually takes between 13-14 gallons to fill the rest of the tank. I also noticed recently that the muffler tips are very black on the ends. Could this mean the engine is running rich or lean or something like that? Maybe it's why I'm getting the poor gas mileage. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the answers in advance.

Donny

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
150-200 seems little low!!

I'm getting between 200-250 miles per fill-up city driving.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
After your first oil change (I assume you haven't had one yet?) you will get a little better mpg usually.

Do you drive aggresively (read high 6-7k rpm) ?

Tips are normal, you can pick up something like simple green to clean them up if it bothers you ;)

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I scheduled an appointment at Acura of Valley Stream for Monday morning, we'll see what they have to say. I don't really push it to 6-7K RPM too often. Maybe 3 or 4 times between fill ups. It just seems that I'm filling up way too often and with gas prices the way they are my gas bill is almost as much ass the lease payment (slight exageration). Thanks for the replies.

Donny

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
hatzq68 said:
I've been noticing that I've been getting awful gas mileage. I do mostly city driving or moderate traffic highway driving. I've been getting between 150-200 miles per fillup, and i'm usually filling up right after the gas light comes on. It usually takes between 13-14 gallons to fill the rest of the tank. I also noticed recently that the muffler tips are very black on the ends. Could this mean the engine is running rich or lean or something like that? Maybe it's why I'm getting the poor gas mileage. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the answers in advance.

Donny
definitely get it checked out...ive had my car for 6 mons..but i started off getting about 250-300 and now 300-350...

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Damn - that IS bad.

It sounds like you either are running very rich, or you hit VTEC MUCH MORE often than you think. When VTEC hits, the mixture gets quite rich and you can almost SEE the gas gauge move. :D Of course, that's a good thing, as it means you are getting major oomph. :D

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
Re: Re: I'm getting terrible gas mileage and my muffler tips are blackened

Escamar said:

definitely get it checked out...ive had my car for 6 mons..but i started off getting about 250-300 and now 300-350...
That's pretty much highway milage, huh??? I barely remember when I hit more than 300 marks. :sqnteek: :rolleyes:

·
....the "old" guy....
74 Posts
I must have an unusual car. I average 20-21 in around town driving. On highway trips, I ALWAYS get 31 - 35 mpg. I have no complaints on my mileage whatsoever from this car. :boink:

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
after your first oil change it will be much much better. change your engine oil at 3500 miles

also, if you want, put in a bottle of cheveron techron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.