Acura World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this info while doing a Google search for RL transponder keys. The following will allow you to start your RL WITHOUT a transponder key for 10 minutes, at which time you will have to re-enter a code again. Keep in mind, this information was obtain referring to a 2003 ACURAL RL, but may work with other model years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A special, electronically coded key prevents the car from being started, even if a mechanical duplicate of the proper key shape is used. A transponder, built into the key, signals the immobilizer control unit that the key is genuine. If the car is hotwired, or an unauthorized key is used, it simply will not start. This system is a substantial deterrent to theft.

The immobilizer key is not equipped with a battery. The transponder receives power from the immobilizer receiver.

This is how the immobilizer system works. The 3.5RL is supplied with three keys and a key number plate:

1. A master key (black) for ignition switch, door locks, glove box and trunk lock.

2. A valet key (grey) for ignition switch and door locks.

3. A packaged learning key (red) for re-coding the immobilizer system only.

The master and valet keys have a built-in transponder that contains an integrated circuit (IC) and each key has its own transponder code. A receiver (antenna) attached to the ignition switch/steering lock assembly transmits power to the transponder (key) when the ignition switch is turned to the (II) position. The transponder then sends a coded signal back through the receiver to the immobilizer control unit. The key’s transponder code is registered in the immobilizer unit of the vehicle. If this signal is correct, the immobilizer control unit will connect the starter and PGM-FI circuits when the ignition is switched ON.

Important: The learning key (red) will not start the engine and must only be used for re-coding the system.

If the customer requires additional keys: To program (code) new keys, both the original (master and valet) keys and the learning key are required. All the keys will be re-coded. If either the master or valet key is lost, the available key should be used with the learning key for re-coding.

Note: If both the master and valet keys; or the learning key are lost, or if all three keys are lost, the immobilizer control unit must be replaced. The immobilizer control unit can store a total of five key codes (including the original keys but excluding the learning key).

Can the immobilizer system be cancelled? Yes, only temporarily in an emergency situation, if the customer has lost his key(s) and the car must be moved.

Important: To maintain security of the vehicle, the immobilizer cancel function can only operate with a special VIN based cancel code which can be obtained from The Acura Tech Line.

Procedure:

1. Dealer (or roadside assistance) contact Acura Tech Line with VIN to obtain key No. and cancel code.

2. Customer advised to have a key cut from a regular key blank and enter the cancel code using the ignition switch and foot-operated parking brake as follows: Example - cancel code is 54345.

a) Insert the new key in ignition switch and turn to ON (II) position. Indicator light flashes continuously after the initial 2 sec. indication.

b) Pull and hold the parking brake release lever.

c) Enter the first digit of the cancel code by pressing and releasing the parking brake pedal five times.

d) Turn the ignition to OFF position.

e) Turn the ignition to ON position and enter the second code by pressing and releasing the brake pedal four times and turn ignition OFF.

f) Repeat step (e) for the remaining three codes.

g) After entering the last digit, turn the ignition OFF, confirm that the indicator light flashes five times. If not, repeat the above procedure.

The engine can now start and run until the ignition is turned off. The immobilizer indicator light will remain ON when operated in cancel mode.

Important: The engine will start or re-start if no more than ten minutes have elapsed since switching off. The five digit code must be entered again if more than ten minutes have elapsed. This provides vehicle security.

·
jinny=guy, avatar=girl
17,140 Posts
Cool!

I hope I never need to try this and find out that it doesn't work on my '00... :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it possible to use the transponder key from another identicle RL to program new keys for the RL without a transponder key?

·
Registered
1 Posts
CODING FOR A MAZDA 626 2.0 GSI 1999

I've got a mazda 626 2.0GSI. I've lost my keys but have made spare one.
It needs coding, could I use the same principle to start the car for my car.

How would I go about doing this ?

I would be grateful if you could give me this information.

A special, electronically coded key prevents the car from being started, even if a mechanical duplicate of the proper key shape is used. A transponder, built into the key, signals the immobilizer control unit that the key is genuine. If the car is hotwired, or an unauthorized key is used, it simply will not start. This system is a substantial deterrent to theft.

The immobilizer key is not equipped with a battery. The transponder receives power from the immobilizer receiver.

This is how the immobilizer system works. The 3.5RL is supplied with three keys and a key number plate:

1. A master key (black) for ignition switch, door locks, glove box and trunk lock.

2. A valet key (grey) for ignition switch and door locks.

3. A packaged learning key (red) for re-coding the immobilizer system only.

The master and valet keys have a built-in transponder that contains an integrated circuit (IC) and each key has its own transponder code. A receiver (antenna) attached to the ignition switch/steering lock assembly transmits power to the transponder (key) when the ignition switch is turned to the (II) position. The transponder then sends a coded signal back through the receiver to the immobilizer control unit. The key’s transponder code is registered in the immobilizer unit of the vehicle. If this signal is correct, the immobilizer control unit will connect the starter and PGM-FI circuits when the ignition is switched ON.

Important: The learning key (red) will not start the engine and must only be used for re-coding the system.

If the customer requires additional keys: To program (code) new keys, both the original (master and valet) keys and the learning key are required. All the keys will be re-coded. If either the master or valet key is lost, the available key should be used with the learning key for re-coding.

Note: If both the master and valet keys; or the learning key are lost, or if all three keys are lost, the immobilizer control unit must be replaced. The immobilizer control unit can store a total of five key codes (including the original keys but excluding the learning key).

Can the immobilizer system be cancelled? Yes, only temporarily in an emergency situation, if the customer has lost his key(s) and the car must be moved.

Important: To maintain security of the vehicle, the immobilizer cancel function can only operate with a special VIN based cancel code which can be obtained from The Acura Tech Line.

Procedure:

1. Dealer (or roadside assistance) contact Acura Tech Line with VIN to obtain key No. and cancel code.

2. Customer advised to have a key cut from a regular key blank and enter the cancel code using the ignition switch and foot-operated parking brake as follows: Example - cancel code is 54345.

a) Insert the new key in ignition switch and turn to ON (II) position. Indicator light flashes continuously after the initial 2 sec. indication.

b) Pull and hold the parking brake release lever.

c) Enter the first digit of the cancel code by pressing and releasing the parking brake pedal five times.

d) Turn the ignition to OFF position.

e) Turn the ignition to ON position and enter the second code by pressing and releasing the brake pedal four times and turn ignition OFF.

f) Repeat step (e) for the remaining three codes.

g) After entering the last digit, turn the ignition OFF, confirm that the indicator light flashes five times. If not, repeat the above procedure.

The engine can now start and run until the ignition is turned off. The immobilizer indicator light will remain ON when operated in cancel mode.

Important: The engine will start or re-start if no more than ten minutes have elapsed since switching off. The five digit code must be entered again if more than ten minutes have elapsed. This provides vehicle security.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
90 Posts
i just bought an rl used and it only came with one key and one remote, its black and has a red A acura logo, im assuming this is the master key, i would need to replace the whole immobilizer system if i want to make spare keys?

how much does this run? or is it replaced as a courtesy because the process is so complicated?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just bought an rl used and it only came with one key and one remote, its black and has a red A acura logo, im assuming this is the master key, i would need to replace the whole immobilizer system if i want to make spare keys?

how much does this run? or is it replaced as a courtesy because the process is so complicated?
Hint from BMW forum.
If you have lost the programmer (red) key one thing you might want to do
((if it suits you)), is to take one of the good keys you have, have the metal
key portion copied, then mount your transponder key, (or just the chip inside)
permanently near the ignition switch.
Now use the new (non-transponder) key to start the car, etc., etc.
Sure, "no immobilizer", but all the car thieves know you can't steal these acuras because of the transponder key, so.... there may not be a problem.

·
Pat from NH
23 Posts
A couple of questions:

1. Is the cancel code the one that's on a little metal tag with the red learning key?

2. Will the car start if the immobilizer circuit is bypassed? I once had a remote start on my 98 RL and don't remember having to get PCM re-programmed. I can only think that the immobilizer was bypassed somehow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
¡El remedio innovador trifásico para el adelgazamiento hasta menos 7 kilogramos CADA SEMANA!
BerryFit adelgazar comprar en España - BerryFit para el adelgazamiento en España. Dónde comprar, precio, instrucciones, reseñas. - BerryFit compra precio barato.
¡POR PRIMERA VEZ! ¡Regula la actividad de adelgazamiento con relación a los biorritmos!
BerryFit comprar en España
¡Ajuste el adelgazamiento de acuerdo con su régimen individual con ayuda del preparado innovador!
¡Los componentes únicos están unidos por primera vez en una fórmula ultra activa , que estimula todas las reaciones biológicas necesarias para el adelgazamiento natural, rápido y sencillo!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts