Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I'm talking to my friend who has an IS300 and he's hesitant to get this specific brand of intake because it's not C.A.R.B. approved or doesn't have a sticker saying so. I argue that it doesnt matter because all they do is stick a device in the tailpipe and check for emmisions. He claims that it's a 2 part procedure...visual and the emmisions test. Is this true? So does that mean that all AEM intakes that don't have that sticker wont pass (even though in the site says that it's exempt)? What if you fabricate your own intake? I have the Injen one personally and never heard of anyone being concerned about passing any C.A.R.B. regulations. I know we don't have to get a smog test until 5 years later...but if a 3 foot aluminum piece of pipe must be C.A.R.B. certified what more about the other mods like the RES or a full cat-back exhaust! Someone please give me a clue.

·
Jack This
2,318 Posts
Here's a spot for you.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/devices.htm
Select AIR Filter/ Intake Modification and it gives you an entire list of CARB approved intakes.

I know in the early stages, quite a few SMOG stations visually rejected cars due to a fully open air filter. BUT now, I think most places understand how they work and most have been proven to not grossly add to the vehicles emissions. (Obviously...more air you take in the more Exhuast you have. But modern cars more efficiently utilize the air you bring in, with only minor changes in exhaust, via computer mgt systems.)

Anyway...depending on the shop, you could fail the visual inspection if you have modified parts that could potentially add to emmissions. If you don't have the CARD cert to back it up, then you fail.

(A turbo blow off valve will visually fail because it has the potential to blow recycled exhaust fumes into the open air. That's why factory turbos use a bypass valve instead, since it recycles fumes back into the intake.)

Anyone have an "OFFICIAL" statement on this.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
i don't have an official statement, but it's true that it depends on the store. some stores they see you having the intake you and fail immedaitely. some they just stick the thing in your exhuast, and as long as you pass that you pass the exam.

·
magic number ==> 69
318 Posts
I have the INJEN CAI and I also have the card said it is legal and stuff, but the only thing is that i pill out the INJEN lsticker word, will they gonna give me problem with that??

thanx in advance
tai

·
Jack This
2,318 Posts
69tl said:
I have the INJEN CAI and I also have the card said it is legal and stuff, but the only thing is that i pill out the INJEN lsticker word, will they gonna give me problem with that??

thanx in advance
tai
shouldn't be a hassle at all. If they do, they can go to the states website and verify the certification.

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
rominl said:

yup, they only know money :)
Asian -> only know money ?? :rolleyes:

Is this what it's all about??? :sqnteek:

·
Registered
771 Posts
baggsTLS said:

(A turbo blow off valve will visually fail because it has the potential to blow recycled exhaust fumes into the open air. That's why factory turbos use a bypass valve instead, since it recycles fumes back into the intake.)

Bypass valves and blowoff valves are the same thing. They have nothing to do with the exhaust portion of a turbocharger system. The blowoff (bypass) valve is along the intake compressor portion of the system. They exist to prevent intake compressed charged air from returning to the intake compressor. The aftermarket blowoff valves offer greater spring actuation reliability especially at higher boost levels than the stock factory ones if they do come with one.

I think you're talking about a wastegate. The wastegate senses when the exhaust turbine is spinning too fast and opens up to bypass exhaust gases around the turbine. The exhaust gases remain within the system and are never emitted or some people use aftermarket external wastegates which dump exhaust gases directly to the exhaust pipe without going through the turbine housing.

In either case, neither a blowoff valve nor a wastegate will influence smog passing since gases are never emitted. :)

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
ok ok don't take me wrong. i wasn't discriminating anyone or any races. i am asian too for that matter. but it's in general i think those smok check shops in monterey park or so, they take your money, do the test, and that's it. they hardly do any visual.

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
rominl said:
ok ok don't take me wrong. i wasn't discriminating anyone or any races. i am asian too for that matter.
Oh, I didin't know you're asian too, rominl. ;)

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
songoku said:

Oh, I didin't know you're asian too, rominl. ;)
haha, my name hides a lot of stuff about me ;) i used to live in santa monica, went to schools there. spent lots of my time in monterey park, alhambra, arcadia, rowland height etc ;)

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
Dvsrice said:
well don't worry i think we all are until you see us at the meets.
Hey Mayur,

So you're going to the meet this sunday??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.