Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL that will intermittently not keep running once started when hot. TCS and check engine light came on, got code P0171 (lean) Smoke test okay, fuel test okay, cleaned fuel injectors, changed O2 sensor, seemed to help for a week. If it does start, it shakes like crazy and sometimes gives me a hard time going into gear. Mechanic is baffled. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
DTC P0171 can set when the ECM/PCM makes adjustments to the fuel mixture that are out of range in relation to the input from the heated oxygen sensor. An ECM failure is a possibility, but let's start simple.

My first guess would be the EVAP canister purge valve, if it's a fuel related issue. Has the mechanic narrowed down whether the car is getting any erratic spark?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if he got an spark issues but he has my car again today to try and figure it out so I will mention that to him. i will keep you posted on the progress. Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mechanic said no bad sparks and fuel tested okay so he changed the ECT sensor and now letting it hot soak and then see if that fixes the problem. I will keep you posted. I did read a bulletin on the same problem and they said it was the fuel regulator and the PCM. I'm hoping that's not the issue because that is very expensive and i would think the car would have done it way before now if that was indeed the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The mechanic said no bad sparks and fuel tested okay so he changed the ECT sensor and now letting it hot soak and then see if that fixes the problem. I will keep you posted. I did read a bulletin on the same problem and they said it was the fuel regulator and the PCM. I'm hoping that's not the issue because that is very expensive and i would think the car would have done it way before now if that was indeed the problem.
Check the PCV hose connection to the headvalve/manifold

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We haven't had another occurrence since changing the ECT sensor but I will definitely mention this to my mechanic when I am there at the end of this month for inspection. When we changed the ECT sensor it hasn't happened again but now the SRS light is on. Damn cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts