Acura World banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m posting these comments to better understand if and how prevalent the subject noise is with other owners of the 2014 MDX, and to seek advice that anyone can give. Some have described it as “a cell phone in vibrate mode going off on a hard surface.” My understanding is the noise is identified as being from the Variable Cylinder Management System (VCM) switching from 3 cylinders to 6 cylinders. This causes a waft of air to rush in (to feed the additional cylinders) and this air rush causes the plastic shield to vibrate. Unfortunately, the noise gets louder over time. Reading other posts, this noise is also found in other Honda models utilizing Honda’s VCM System, like the Pilot, Acura RDX and Odyssey. If you search the Piloteers forum, you’ll see there is a great dislike for VCM.

Some owners have apparently had success when the bulkhead cover latches and strikers are replaced, as specified in Acura’s Technical Service Bulletin #14-003 (didn’t work for me). This procedure may be the same as “replacing the clips on the plastic shield.” I’ve also read that technicians have just added additional foam on the intake cover area and the noise disappeared.

After 6 months of attempting to get this defect corrected, staff from Acura’s Technical Assistance Department, as late as May 27, 2014, stated the noise is characteristic of the vehicle and is the all wheel drive unit modulator activating. Unfortunately, Acura is not interested in fixing the problem.

I would very much appreciate hearing how others are dealing with this issue. Clearly, paying as much as we have, we should not have to experience this annoying sound. At the minimum, Acura’s dealers should be required to disclose this issue when offering this product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think we might have a fix. I just got off the phone with Mr. John Ferry, the service manager for Autonation Acura in Spokane, Washington (509) 444-7000, [email protected]. John is a very helpful and knowledgeable professional that fully understands what is causing the irritating noise I have been complaining about. John says in the case he dealt with (also a fluttering noise) it was due to the rear rockers. He said replacing the rear rockers fixed the problem. He said Acura in Torrance, CA was given the Field Quality Report (FQR), so check with them. I provided this information to the service manager where I bought my car, so, hopefully, I will be getting my car fixed soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.