Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey pepl,
I bought i beautiful 93 Legend about a month ago, looks and drives good. But Now about a week ago i noticed that when i started the car (Like in the morning when its been sitting there) and i put on "Drive" the car would not "go". It was only about five minutes or so that the car would finally recognize it was supposed to "go".
It did recognize Reverse though. Why is this happening? And yes the transmission has oil. Some plz help me!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im no mechanic but obviously that sounds like a transmission problem. I dont get it, what do you mean the car doesnt go? What happends if you push the gas, does the engine rev or it does go?

I know with my legend, when the car is cold (for example starting it in the morning) and I put it into drive the car seems more "eager" to move when brake is taken off. It also might be that its slipping out of gear. You have a second generation legend, I have a first. Im sure your car has an alternate gear like 2 or 3, maybe even one. Do those gears work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey pepl,
I bought i beautiful 93 Legend about a month ago, looks and drives good. But Now about a week ago i noticed that when i started the car (Like in the morning when its been sitting there) and i put on "Drive" the car would not "go". It was only about five minutes or so that the car would finally recognize it was supposed to "go".
It did recognize Reverse though. Why is this happening? And yes the transmission has oil. Some plz help me!!

Plan A:

First, check the level of your ATF fluid. The yellow dipstick (on '91). Best to check when the engine is running but you can also do when it's off -- after you have run the engine for a few minutes. If it's low, add Honda approved ATF fluid, being careful not to overfill. The color of the fluid should be cherry red. It it's brown, or burnt, or smells burnt, head for Plan B below immediately.

If this does not help or is not applicable, see below for Plan B:

I suggest that you take your Acura to an independent Acura/Honda mechanic or the dealership, and request a full transmission flush and refill. Not to be confused with simply draining the ATF fluid, a complete tranny system FLUSH should make your tranny run like new. This may run $80-$110 give or take. (This has worked wonders on my 1991 Legend LS sedan .. cheaper than transmission repair!)

Jiffy-Lube and others can do this but you never know the skill set of the grease monkey you get. If you can't see an independent Acura mechanic or the dealer, then ask for the Jiffy-Lube MANAGER to oversee the transmission flush.

If after doing this the car still has problems, suggest you go to the dealer. Could be the torque converter. Or perhaps the shift lever linkage is loose in some way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Transmission-shift-cable bracket can be damaged

Hey pepl,

Not sure if this would apply to your 1993, but here it is anyway ...

NHTSA Recall History

1991 sedan: Transmission-shift-cable bracket can be damaged and shift lever may not correctly indicate gear position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.