Acura World banner

jacking up my TL

31K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  edgalang 
#1 ·
Okay, I went out and got 4 jackstands and a jack, but I wanna be sure where I jack up the car and where to place the jackstands. I think I read that you were supposed to jack up the car from the tow hooks and then place the jackstand under the factory jackpoints. I don't wanna tear through my car so please help!

I've taken pics of what I'm sure are the right places, but I just want to make sure..

Here's that hook in the front corner of the car, on the driver's side:

See less See more
#4 ·
Solution 3 is for the jack for sure. My hydraulic jack has a mount for those points.

As for jack stands, I use the lower A-arm bolt.

#5 ·
autoxCLS said:
As for jack stands, I use the lower A-arm bolt.
I would suggest not using jacks or jack stands on part of your suspension. It could throw you out of alignment.

The front jack point is actually right under the front engine mount. Run your hand straight back from the center of your front spoiler's lip. The first metal you hit is the jack point. You'll see that it kind'a sticks out a little, and also has an additional piece of metal tacked over it.

If I had a digicam, I'd snap a shot for you... :(

#12 ·
Re: Re: Re: how about this location?

edgalang said:

details...wow :) but yeah...each part was individually sprayed..then sprayed again after the welds.
was the whole car re-painted tho? or just the damaged areas and then some. get some sandpaper and sand down the paint in those areas, so no one can see it... :D

oh yeah....what part is that on the car that you jacking up?! suspension?

#13 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: how about this location?

ElegantTL-S said:

oh yeah....what part is that on the car that you jacking up?! suspension?
That is one of the main bolts that holds the (control arms) :dunno: To the body. I was told that that is one of the strongest bolts in the car. It bolts directly to the chasis.

#14 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how about this location?

edgalang said:

That is one of the main bolts that holds the (control arms) :dunno: To the body. I was told that that is one of the strongest bolts in the car. It bolts directly to the chasis.
interesting. I think you should use the rear tow hook instead.

#17 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how about this location?

ElegantTL-S said:

isn't there a front hook as well in the middle? :D
There is...problem is you need to have a very expensive type of jack that can lift the car high up enough to slip the jack stands on the factory mounting point. All I have are the measly little 2 ton jacks that were on sale for 15 bucks and can only go up 13 inches. For what we are looking for...the jacks I'm guessing are going to cost well over $100.

#18 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how about this location?

edgalang said:

There is...problem is you need to have a very expensive type of jack that can lift the car high up enough to slip the jack stands on the factory mounting point. All I have are the measly little 2 ton jacks that were on sale for 15 bucks and can only go up 13 inches. For what we are looking for...the jacks I'm guessing are going to cost well over $100.
hahaha....cheap floorjack...i dunno man... :D I wouldn't want to be working under your car. You know...those 3 ton ones are bigger too...so if you have a lowered car...it's hard to squeeze under the front. the 2 ton floor jack can BAAAAAREELY fit under my jacking points... :dunno: weird.

#19 ·
yup our car is pretty low and it's hard to fit some large jack. using 2 tons jack is good but we basically can't use the front jack point coz' we simply can't jack the car high enough to put in the jack point.

the place edgalang you use is pretty much the place i think i would use. it should be strong enough and you shouldn't change the suspension at all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.