Acura World banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jiggaman:
How's it goin...well the D2R are what is in our car now. There has been a lot of controversy about which to get...the only difference in the two is a reflector strip in the D2S to disallow some of the wider light rays from exiting the bulb. Neither burns brighter, or hotter, or anything else. It's the same equipment sans that piece. I would go with the D2R because it fits in our cars and it's what was designed for them. The D2S just offers you a different perspective...that being a more concentrated center beam because of that reflector. There are two bumps on the D2S bulb, one of which you have to sand down, to have it fit in the car. They burn at the same temperature...the D2S is just more focused and so standing directly in front of both it will appear that way...though it isn't the case. A few have done this already...I'd search for the thread. Those Philips bulbs will not burn out anything in the housing, no. It's up to you, but I plan on getting 6000K D2R, because I like to light the whole road up with the pattern the car currently has, and I also want my lights to be seen from the sides as well as the front...it's all in what you would prefer.

As for the highbeams...there are a lot of different bulbs to choose from. I would suggest what I have, the Solaris 9005's, but that's not really economical since they're $70 a pair, though they do have a lifetime warranty and are the highest temperature non-HID out there. You will need a 9005 for the highbeams I believe. the PIAA Extreme Whites I hear are very good...there have been other discussions on this, with pictures, so again you may want to search. If you're getting the 6000K philips bulbs you won't get close to matching them unless you go HID on the highbeams.

As for the corners yes Piaa and Polargs are the big brands. Again, I would go for the Solaris's if you can...I believe for that application they're $40 or so? Same warranty. Also check out the Showoff Kryptons...they're a higher wattage light, but they are the absolute bluest lights I have ever seen for the smaller wattages (jyang411 has them as his fogs). But for the higher wattages, like my highbeams, nothing beats Solaris.

But in closing...unless you go HID you won't find a bulb that'll match the HID's now, and definitely not if you go to 6000K. It just won't happen. The closest I've ever seen are Showoff Kryptons for lower wattages and Solaris for higher wattages.

Austin519

·
253 Posts
Austin,
its been seven months since you posted this .... do you still like the Phillips D2Rs the best for low beam. Is this a high beam bulb ? what is 6000K all about ?
I will go with your reccomendation as soon as I hear !

Thanks for doing this forum ! I think its great !
Stu

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fun4you2ok:
Ha ha ha I didn't do this forum at all :D Thanks autoxcls and Phoenix (the admins), and all of the other moderators...I'm just a moderator...but thanks ;).

You can use either the D2R or the D2S..but honestly I believe the D2R to be the better bulb for our cars. I say that because of the dispersion of light...I don't think the modded D2S look good in our cars. The D2R is a lowbeam HID bulb for our HID lowbeams. 6000K refers to the light temperature that is output...where 4300K is stock and is white light, and 5500K+ has a blueish tint to it.

Highbeam bulbs can be purchased that look just like stock (4300K) HID's to match them, but not 6000K. I currently have Solaris 9005's in my highbeams and they perfectly match my stock HID's. Hope that helps.

Austin519

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fahoumh:
Nope...it's like 65W or something I think.

Austin519

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fahoumh:
Not really. They have been fine for over a year now. I've driven about 200 miles straight with them on going from TX to GA at 4 AM.

Austin519

·
magic number ==> 69
318 Posts
are there are any web site that are carring Solaris ??

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.