Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first car currently I’m 17 it’s a CL 2001 Type-S
I was wondering if there are any things I should look out for small issues that can cause bigger things later on.The transmission and engine work great!The timing belts and water pump were changed recently.The records prove that.Any tips for maintaining the vehicle.It’s at 136,000 miles and running strong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As Kevinmac inferred, too high a percentage of the automatic transmissions on 2001-2003 Acuras had issues mainly from the clutch packs, etc going and compelled Acura to issue a voluntary extension of the transmission warranty to 100K miles and some extra warranty time back then on top of replacing bad transmissions with remanufacture ones. The best way to insure you take care of the transmission is to use Honda specific ATF and that the transmission oil is changed regularly. Like every 30K miles. If you don't have a record of the last one, I'd suggest doing one now. Just doing a drain and refill will be about 3 quarts. After 2-3 of those changes, the fluid will essentially be 90%+ changed to new fluid. It's not so much the fluid gets old but additives fall out of suspension and/or the oil gets burnt and the tranny goes downhill from there.

I'm not a fan of transmissions flushes using a powered ATF machines. Lots of threads on this topic here and in other forums here where that tranny was used from 2001-2003. Very easy to do your own ATF drain and refill. Just don't overfill it.

In any event, if the ATF is changed with proper Acura/Honda ATF (which I believe has or is synthetic base for flow and high temperature protection), you should be fine. Just something to be aware of.

I do, however, have shops do a vacuum machine based brake fluid flush and refill. While it can be done by yourself, sometimes it's difficult to get all the fluid out when draining and air out when refilling if done manually one caliper at a time. It's only about $75 to get this service done which many folks seem to forget to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As Kevinmac inferred, too high a percentage of the automatic transmissions on 2001-2003 Acuras had issues mainly from the clutch packs, etc going and compelled Acura to issue a voluntary extension of the transmission warranty to 100K miles and some extra warranty time back then on top of replacing bad transmissions with remanufacture ones. The best way to insure you take care of the transmission is to use Honda specific ATF and that the transmission oil is changed regularly. Like every 30K miles. If you don't have a record of the last one, I'd suggest doing one now. Just doing a drain and refill will be about 3 quarts. After 2-3 of those changes, the fluid will essentially be 90%+ changed to new fluid. It's not so much the fluid gets old but additives fall out of suspension and/or the oil gets burnt and the tranny goes downhill from there.

I'm not a fan of transmissions flushes using a powered ATF machines. Lots of threads on this topic here and in other forums here where that tranny was used from 2001-2003. Very easy to do your own ATF drain and refill. Just don't overfill it.

In any event, if the ATF is changed with proper Acura/Honda ATF (which I believe has or is synthetic base for flow and high temperature protection), you should be fine. Just something to be aware of.

I do, however, have shops do a vacuum machine based brake fluid flush and refill. While it can be done by yourself, sometimes it's difficult to get all the fluid out when draining and air out when refilling if done manually one caliper at a time. It's only about $75 to get this service done which many folks seem to forget to do.

I came upon a recall for 2001-2001 CL auto transmission 2nd gear oil kits that is supposed to help mitigate the transmission issues Acura was having with its CLs and TLs from 2001-2003 (2004 for TLs). You might want to call a dealer and provide your VIN and see if that free service was done on your car. The campaign was issued June 29, 2004.

·
White Diamond Pearl '02 Acura TL Type S w/Navi
73 Posts
I came upon a recall for 2001-2001 CL auto transmission 2nd gear oil kits that is supposed to help mitigate the transmission issues Acura was having with its CLs and TLs from 2001-2003 (2004 for TLs). You might want to call a dealer and provide your VIN and see if that free service was done on your car. The campaign was issued June 29, 2004.
You can check for recalls via the Acura.com website with this link: Acura Recalls | Recall Database for Acura Cars, Crossovers and SUVs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts