Acura World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...... So I bought an integra with a B18 motor and it blows blue smoke, the engine runs tight and sounds good, no bad noises, but the tail pipes do blow blue smoke. Any suggestions as to what I should check out, I already changed the Valve cover gasket just because I wanted to have a look at things.

I'm fairly mechanical, no expert by far and a 4 cyl engine is VERY new to me but I am eager to learn about this thing! Thanks for the advice in advance!

·
Integra Mod/2nd Gen Guru
4,747 Posts
Sounds like cooked piston rings to me. Burning oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is my fear....... could it be anythig else? the engine sounds really good though, no knock or odd noises, revs perfectly and sounds smooth. Thinking about buying the rebuild kit and rebuilding the engine with my Dad, he went to denver automotive years ago....... but could it be anything else? I'm no genious on all of this, but I leanr fast and have yet to get into anything over my head

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
Worn valve guide, possibly. How much oil is the car using?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worn valve guide, possibly. How much oil is the car using?
I have barely driven it since I bought it cause I have been doing work to it the whole time(haven't owned it a whole week)........ It appears to be using a ton of oil but I have not been able to see how much it uses, although there is not much smoke when the engine runs, no smoke while idleing and really only smoke when you really get on the gas..... but someone who knows something about cars can smell the oil in the exhaust, although it's not something that would stinks real bad

·
Integra Mod/2nd Gen Guru
4,747 Posts
If it is worn valve guides then they would have to be replaced. If it's piston rings, you can try engine restore. It may help... It's not a product I like to recomend, but in some cases like this, it wouldn't hurt.

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
If it is worn valve guides then they would have to be replaced. If it's piston rings, you can try engine restore. It may help... It's not a product I like to recomend, but in some cases like this, it wouldn't hurt.
He's totally correct on that. Any additive may or may not work for a short term, and will really only put off the inevitable. I know that there are replacement engines out on the net that are reasonably priced from reliable vendors. Just search out the engine group to your car and you might be surprised what you find.

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
If you do a compression test on the motor it will tell you what cylinder is leaking if it is a piston ring, I would imagine that it would do the same if its a valve seal gone bad but I'm not 100% sure on that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you do a compression test on the motor it will tell you what cylinder is leaking if it is a piston ring, I would imagine that it would do the same if its a valve seal gone bad but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Good suggestion, I checked the oil today and there was WAY too much in it.... I may have been making a dumb mistake and not pushing the dip stick all the way down, because a few days ago I check it while the engine was cold and the stick was dry, then I checked it last night after driving it and it was past full, by probly half a quart..

Going to change the oil today to a O-30 with "Mystery Oil" then run that for a tank and then change the oil to something nice..... Bottom line is that I need to drive this thing some more before I really know what's up with it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
if its the piston ring, then the smoke would be white. check your valve..its probably worn out and needs to be replaced.
white smoke is coolant/moisture being burnt, how would bad rings make it smoke white?

bad rings make it smoke blue/black and it will smell like burnt oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the smoke is much less common now. I ran the 0-30 for a tank of gas then changed it back to 5-30 and put some Lucas oil stop leak in with it and the smoke is a rare occurance now, all in all things sound pretty good. It's definately not a fix but wwe'll see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
827 Posts
having to much oil in it could of caused it to smoke a lot like you said it was when you 1st got it, alos having to much oil can cause you to blow your oil pump.

have you replaced your PCV valve?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts