Acura World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i bought a new smart key off of ebay willl it work if i bring it to the dealership to be programmed and cut? Thanks. THis will save a lot of money. BTW i have an 04 RL3.5.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If i bought a new smart key off of ebay willl it work if i bring it to the dealership to be programmed and cut? Thanks. THis will save a lot of money. BTW i have an 04 RL3.5.
My experience today:

I bought a new smart key off eBay and took it to the dealership this afternoon where I was told they couldn't program it without the "Red Key" and even if I had the red key the cost for the programming would be $65. They offered me a set of their own generic keys (T5) that comes with the Acura logo for $28 programmed so I bought 2 and it took less than 10 minutes.

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,604 Posts
That's odd. The red key is actually used to program the immobilizer unit. Goto the parts dept. and just ask them if they can try and clone the RFID from your existing master key to the new one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What was the totatl cost for the set of keys and service charge?
$28 per key + taxes. No service fee for buying their version of the generic key (T5 as they call it because of the inscription on the key)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Forget the dealer,there is a great auto locksmith in Queens name Armor Locksmith
718-445 9200,as long as the chip in the key is the right one(they can test it before cutting the key),call them up,they will save you a lot of money,good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts