Acura World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I test drove a 2010 Acura TL SH AWD over the weekend and we liked it a lot. It is at CarMax and is currently going through their 125 point inspection (for whatever that is worth). The car has 37K on it and they are asking around $28K for it.

Are there any known issues with the AWD that we should know about? I did a search on the TL forum here but didn't find an answer. Asking because Consumer Reports' buying guide indicates that this particular model is unreliable and gets a "worst" rating for reliability but the FW drive model did not get a similar rating.

Is there some story on the AWD version that we need to know? I think we'd buy this car if someone could help me resolve this question.

New to the forum and hope to be a member soon so thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to locate some info on a torque converter TSB/recall on the AWD model. It appears that this problem causes some of these cars to "hunt" at 30-45 MPH for the correct gear, constantly shifting up and down. I talked to my local dealer and they advised that the recall would be a cost-free repair no matter how many miles are on the vehicle.

Anyone have anything to add on a known problem that might make the 2010 TL SH-AWD "unreliable" as Consumer Reports tagged it? If I could be certain this was the major issue with the AWD in this model I think I'd buy this car without hesitation.

Little help please?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
There are no issues that I'm aware of with the SH-AWD. Honestly, I think it's too new to be able to say, but I myself wouldn't hesitate buying one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I work on these everyday and the only issue I have seen is the torque converter shutter - and the recall(reprogram/updates ecu for torque converter lock-up function) usually will fix that but I have had to replace 2 torque converters under warranty in the 4 years I have been an acura tech so I wouldn't worry about anything its pretty rare that the torque converter needs to be replaced but other than that I haven't seen any other major issues with these cars yet

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a 2010 TL SH AWD + tech package around 6 months ago. I have had no issues with the car and I feel the car is very well built.

Judging by the issues reported in the forum (and others) this care seems to be very reliable. Personally I don't put any trust in consumer reports. I find their reports are not very accurate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2010 TL-SH AWD is currently at the dealer having its torque converter replaced under warranty. The dealer was absolutely accommodating about it. I first noticed the sound at 43k. The best description I could conjure up was that it sounded like a tin pan that was filled with small ball bearings being vibrated. At around 1100-1500 rpm the noise would occur. Since the transmission is programmed to seek a higher gear ratio for fuel econ, depending on grade/load/speed, that seemed to be when the issue would arise. "Lugging" is an apt description. I'd often drop it into sport mode when driving under 45 in stop and go traffic. Certainly not ideal, and certainly not appropriate in a $44k luxury sedan. All things considered, I'd still buy the car again. It always puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just picked up a 2010 SH AWD with 54,000 miles. I absolutely loved this thing on the test drive. I couldn't believe how nice it is. This car makes you want to drive it. I have been a huge Nissan fan, owned motorcycles etc... it takes a lot to excite me with a vehicle, but this one is very nice. Picked it up today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spoke with the dealer today about the torque converter issue. I just brought the vehicle a few weeks ago. They said due to the reprogram already taking place and having additional issues they are going to have to replace the torque converter. They also stated is under warranty and replaced at no cost. They need to check it out to verify and order part. Sounds pretty painless. I was impressed by their quick response.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts