Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't know what it would cost but I know the reason car companies use glass in unibodies is because it's about 60% of your cars strength if it rolls over not that you plan to roll your car but it's something to consider

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,295 Posts
I don't think its DOT legal actually. I could be wrong but I remember hearing something about it not being. You should look into that before you commit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what it would cost but I know the reason car companies use glass in unibodies is because it's about 60% of your cars strength if it rolls over not that you plan to roll your car but it's something to consider
really? i thought Lexan and Perspex were stronger than glass. The glass in cars, i thought, was made to shatter. I guess *if* i flip the car i'd be in some trouble trying to get out. I'll have to look into if it is DOT legal. I just wanted to lighten the car as much as i could and provide a little extra security for the electronics i'm putting in the car. I was also looking into getting Ace Security Laminates but the weight reduction isn't there.

I tend to overcomplicate stuff, so this may not be worth it.

·
Logan
1,174 Posts
One thing to think about with any kind of window laminate (including window tint) is that if you are ever in a accident and for whatever reason the fire department/rescue workers have to extract you from your car, the first thing they will try to do is knock out the windows in an attempt to open the car door. If they can't knock out the window because of some kind of security laminate or tinting laminate, they go straight for the jaws of life to cut the roof off or pry the door open. Granted, if you're in an accident that knocks you out or gets you unable to remove yourself from the vehicle, the car is probably screwed anyways, but it's something to think about.

·
Like a Boss
21,884 Posts
^ Good point.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Lexan is a polycarbonate plastic, aka "shatter proof glass" its used because its lighter and in an accident it will crack into big pieces(if it cracks at all) instead of shattering or spidering. Yes is does scratch easily. And yes I know what Im talking about, I have sheets of lexan sitting in my room...I get it for free.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Perspex is just acrylic glass it's known for it's ability to bend instead of chip or shatter but when you bend it too far it shards off into huge and dangerous pieces just like non-safety glass and carbon fiber...

Lexan is stronger than glass but as badger said it's also not safe if it shatters you can put anti scratch coatings on it to help it's softness problem but it's quite expensive

·
Registered
310 Posts
It makes it safer because it doesn't shatter... but on the opposite as somebody else stated if ur in a really bad car accident an officer cant break urwindow. They have a special tool which is basically a steel nail but has a spring and is almost like a clicky pen so the point isnt out in the open all the time. All they do is hold it like a knife and back hand the window. The point spiders the window and then their fist goes through to break the window into thousands of pieces.

I can get lexan all you would have to do is pay shipping, BUT I cant garuantee what size I can get. The pieces I have now are about 8x14, Im sure I could get bigger but idk about winshield size cuz then I would probably get somebody fired . But then you run into the problem with I can only get stragith sheets so it wouldnt have the curve and mold of a windshield...so I guess if u wanted those small side windows I could probably hook you up with two sheets and then you would have to cut the shape. It bents some so those would be really easy to do, but then again those little windows probably arent going to save u much weight at all.

·
Like a Boss
21,884 Posts
Doesn't sound worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.