Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the brake and ABS lights and I'm at 105K with a '90 Legend---also notice a noise when I first start the car and drive for around 5 minutes or so---like something is trying to start but not catchin or sumthin----does this sound like the ABS pump? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

·
113 Posts
The slight gear/grinding noise you hear is from the ABS pump pressuring up the system. This sound occurs on both my 89L and 90LS sedans ...usually just after I start the car and pull away. Its been doing this on my 89 since I bought the car in 1995 ..and on the 90 since I bought it a year ago: so, I consider this "normal". The issue with the brake lights and ABS lights being on could be as simple as low fluid in the brake fluid reservoir(s) ..or it could be a bad ABS sensor at one or more of the wheels.

As suggested, remove the ABS fuses ...and/or simply disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the system computers. Sometimes the ABS light can be triggered by a voltage fluctuation (bad or failing alternator?)as the system monitors itself for constant voltage.

·
Registered
2008 Acura TL Type S, 2010 Jeep JK
2 Posts
The slight gear/grinding noise you hear is from the ABS pump pressuring up the system. This sound occurs on both my 89L and 90LS sedans ...usually just after I start the car and pull away. Its been doing this on my 89 since I bought the car in 1995 ..and on the 90 since I bought it a year ago: so, I consider this "normal". The issue with the brake lights and ABS lights being on could be as simple as low fluid in the brake fluid reservoir(s) ..or it could be a bad ABS sensor at one or more of the wheels.

As suggested, remove the ABS fuses ...and/or simply disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the system computers. Sometimes the ABS light can be triggered by a voltage fluctuation (bad or failing alternator?)as the system monitors itself for constant voltage.
Thanks for this post Digger89L! I love your article 📝🚘🛠 ! The content is very valuable. It shows that you spent time researching this and you have managed to turn it into an incredible piece of valuable content.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts