Acura World banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lightweight flywheel-would anyone actually spend the $$ on one?

I talked to the VP of Fidanza at Nopi this weekend about the lack of an available lightweight flywheel for our cars. He expressed a willingness to produce one if we could actually put together a group of 10 or more buyers. I have to send him a 5 spd flywheel to take a look at. Price would be determined once he has looked at the stock flywheel. Most of their flywheels sell for around $300-400. I would assume something at the higher end of that scale for now since this would be a very low volume project for them. This would be a great upgrade for all us 5/6spd owners (utilizing the 5 spd clutch setup on the 6 spds.) So the question is, who here would seriously buy one? If there is enough interest, I'll pursue it. Obviously none of the details such as weight, etc have been determined yet-so I can't answer those questions at this time. All I need to know right now is who would really spend the money and do this.

Fidanza

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hondaman23 said:
I like performance, you know that (hope you are still liking your diff). But I cannot spend $400 on a flyw that goes on a street/race car. Just give me a 20 lb reduction with the 5 speed flyw (like the one you sold me) and that should be enough to get things near enough. So without futher adeu, count me out, but if you get close to your 10 and you need one more, email me. I might go in.
Yeah I hear you Wes. The stock 5 spd flywheel is a big improvement over the 6 spd one. I doubt that many people are willing to cough up the $$ for this, but I thought I'd run it by everyone. Diff is working well btw-thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dv8 said:
You know i really would want one, its just they probably wouldnt do any RD on it. The comptech CL-S is 10lbs and they say its not fun to drive on the street, i'd rather it be 15. But what kills me is if at 13 there are huge gains or 12 or 17 etc. I guess $45 for my 22lbs 5spd flywheel is going to be better than 38LBS of the 6spd. I cant wait to see the change. Kenso have you done the swap yet?

I'f youd have them in the next 2 weeks id be all over it, however i am planning to have the engine back in the car soon. And when it goes back in, it aint coming out for a long time.

~TRu Hybrid
You make a good point, there might be some trial and error involved in deciding on what weight to go with. I was thinking 12-13 possibly. I have a lightened oem 5 spd flywheel now, weighs a little over 19 lbs. It's not bad, but I'd still like to try an even lighter one eventually. If you've been driving around on the 6 spd one I'm sure you'll much prefer the 5 spd flywheel.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swift said:
well i already have 5spd so.....i dunno. If it was lighter???? I would be in.

Also, hondaman23 do u still make diff's on request?
The 5 spd one is roughly 22 lbs. This one would be made a good deal lighter. It's just that the 5 spd one is a great inexpensive upgrade for the 6 spd guys who are stuck with the 38 lb. one.

Wes can make you a LSD whenever you want one as far as I know. He has a core diff in stock so you wouldn't have to send your old one to him and then wait for the work to be done.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dv8 said:
Is it a night and day difference? Am i way off to assume that 16 lbs off doesnt make you gain tons of power all over the powerband? are you guys holding back youre shear joy? Did i miss a post of yall rejoycing? Between you and bad intentions yall seem like; "ahh its no big deal". Whats up? Give me feeling.

~TRu Hybrid
Well the thing is I had the 5 spd one all along. When I swapped to the 6 spd trans. I got the lightened one, so I went from 22 lbs to 19 lbs. Even though it was only a 3 lb difference, it was slightly noticeable. The only point of reference I have to compare with is my recollections of driving other people's 6 spds at work. I would say mine seems to rev much more freely overall from what I remember about stock 6 spds. Also the revs drop quicker when shifting, which seems to help on fast shifts (smoother/easier on the synchros imo). Maybe bad intentions will chime in, I'm sure he felt a big difference.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1st gear in the 6 spd is taller than the 5 spd, 2nd is identical, and 3rd through 5th are shorter in the 6 spd. So from a performance standpoint, there isn't an advantage with the 6 spd until you get to 3rd gear. If cost is a factor, the 5 spd is definitely available much cheaper than a 6 spd.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
khoerling said:
Guys,
Regarding the LSD, did you notice a huge difference?
I abuse my Legend through corners and when I gas her out of the turns, she bogs down.
Is this due to my differential?
What kind of a difference would I notice with a Hondaman LSD?

Thank you as always for any advice.

k.h.
The LSD helps with wheelspin. If you're bogging down because the inside tire is spinning when you exit a corner then the LSD would help. Basically the difference you would notice is that the car no longer spins one tire uselessly (thereby hindering acceleration) in cornering situations. Before the LSD, if I took a tight low speed corner and accelerated hard out of it, the car would spin the inside tire for a good distance. Now, it might spin very briefly, then it hooks up and pulls.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike Diaz said:
Did you talk to Spec at Nopi? They charge $79 per hour for flywheel machine work, and he said it would take about 1.5 to 2 hours to lighten the flywheel.

I would trust Spec since they actually make a clutch for our cars.
I've already got the SPEC lightened flywheel. It's ok, but still not the same thing as a true lightweight flywheel. It's only about 3 lbs lighter than stock. Not bad for the money though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dv8 said:
Would you recomend it?
Yeah, for what it cost I would. Not a real big difference but every little bit helps. And if you're going to spend the money to have the flywheel resurfaced anyways, I figure it's worth it to spend a little more and get it lightened too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.