Acura World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
You know i really would want one, its just they probably wouldnt do any RD on it. The comptech CL-S is 10lbs and they say its not fun to drive on the street, i'd rather it be 15. But what kills me is if at 13 there are huge gains or 12 or 17 etc. I guess $45 for my 22lbs 5spd flywheel is going to be better than 38LBS of the 6spd. I cant wait to see the change. Kenso have you done the swap yet?

I'f youd have them in the next 2 weeks id be all over it, however i am planning to have the engine back in the car soon. And when it goes back in, it aint coming out for a long time.

~TRu Hybrid

·
Registered
147 Posts
Kenso said:
You make a good point, there might be some trial and error involved in deciding on what weight to go with. I was thinking 12-13 possibly. I have a lightened oem 5 spd flywheel now, weighs a little over 19 lbs. It's not bad, but I'd still like to try an even lighter one eventually. If you've been driving around on the 6 spd one I'm sure you'll much prefer the 5 spd flywheel.

Is it a night and day difference? Am i way off to assume that 16 lbs off doesnt make you gain tons of power all over the powerband? are you guys holding back youre shear joy? Did i miss a post of yall rejoycing? Between you and bad intentions yall seem like; "ahh its no big deal". Whats up? Give me feeling.

~TRu Hybrid

·
Registered
147 Posts
LS92Sedan said:
this is a subject I am following very closely, I am at odds what trans to swap, I REALLY want a 6 speed, but tracking one down and getting all the necessary parts to convert my auto to a manual could pose quite a few issues. With that said, I'm just curious if anyone has compared dynos of cars with similar mods, one with the 5 speed flywheel and one with the 6 speed flywheel. I would like to see the shift in the low end torque on the dyno, that might help you guys get a feel for what weight flywheel to choose. I would sacrifice some top end power if it moved that power into the low/mid range rpm. I have driven all 4 different trans options on the legned, and the 5 speed type 1 in my opinion seemed to get into power alot faster than the 6 speed, but the 6 speed would pull alot harder once it hit 3rd gear and up, anyone else made the same observation? My thinking would be that shaving maybe another 3-5 lbs off the stock 5 speed flywheel would be enough without sacrificing alot of top end, of course, a set of matched cams would help even more especially if you could run the rpms out a lil higher and drop each gear back into power, but thas another subject. any feedback guys?
From what i remember the gear ratios are identical betwee 5 and 6spd up until 5th gear. I'd go with a 5spd low mile tranny, unless you wasnt the prestige to say you have a 6spd. I wanted that prestige:p

~TRu Hybrid

·
Registered
147 Posts
Kenso said:
I've already got the SPEC lightened flywheel. It's ok, but still not the same thing as a true lightweight flywheel. It's only about 3 lbs lighter than stock. Not bad for the money though.

Would you recomend it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Kenso said:
Yeah, for what it cost I would. Not a real big difference but every little bit helps. And if you're going to spend the money to have the flywheel resurfaced anyways, I figure it's worth it to spend a little more and get it lightened too.

It's off to David [email protected], i threw in the pressure plate for lightening too. When it come to avalible performance mods I dont want to F around :p My scale read 33LBS before it went in the box.

~TRu Hybrid

·
Registered
147 Posts
Flywheel was 20 pounds when it went out. 17 when it came back.
Spec stage 3 Pressure plate was 13 when it went out and 12 when it came back.

Shave off 4 pounds not bad for $230 bucks. 5 speed flywheel only.

so the total weight savings from my previous set up is now 22 LBS

~TRu Hybrid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.