Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy an Acura tl but I had some questions. Well first I had a 07 tl/ tech package on the table but it had 104,000 miles on and the buick dealer it was at would not give me any kind of warranty on it, not even a 7 day warranty so that made me real skeptical of it. He let me take it home and it was beautiful but I couldn't get past the no warranty. he only wanted 10k for it but I ended up walking because of the warranty.. I dont know how I feel about it yet. But im still looking and probably will have to wait until the end of the month to make a good deal and get a tech pkg tl at or around 10-11k.

But is there any issues that I should worry about or consider at 100k?
acura's reputation on the street is a 300k motor with tranny problems. Im ok with that if I have to replace my motor once or twice out of 300k miles.
I've also been reading about some Acura's rattlling too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, the tranny itself is not manufact by Acura, so the issues do arise

Have no fear bud, I suggest to EVERYONE I know, TAKE THE CAR TO AN ACURA DEALERSHIP and pay for a full diagnostic. Yes, it is a 150$, but is that really a problem when your about to spend 10,000+ and if something goes wrong; how much more will you pay? just to get back on the road.

So dont be a cheap skate, just try out what I said, generally; this is what strikes fear into their hearts. Because YOU CANNOT HIDE ANY EXISTING issues, it will spit out a code or show stored codes from anything that has ever happened. *I am not saying you are a cheap skate

Next, I would take the car to a CARFAX Dealership, and say you want to sell the car. They will give you a detailed AND FREE of charge diagonistic of everything; while exposing any accidents, any type of damage, or concerns, which all devalue the car. So they do a through search of the vehicle before making an offer to buy it.

They will tell you, this car is sh*t, we dont want it. That should give you a pretty solid idea of what's good. So those are my two options I tell every single person, who is about to make a fairly large investment. You can get a lemon, have it fail on you, and not have another car for sometime; while still having to pay off your finances or worse they already got all the money for it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
When you're buying a TL around 100k miles, you want to find out if the 105k mile service interval has been done.

It's the most expensive service interval, and will cost you up to $1000 for the parts, and labour.

If you find out the 105k mile service hasn't been done yet, you can add $1000 to the list price of the car.

About the rattle issues, yes, my car rattles like crazy over bumps.
Nothing you can't pin-point and fix yourself, though.

As for transmission woes, the main culprit is the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. Overtime the pressure switches go out of calibration which gives you bad shifts, and puts wear on the transmission.
Also another main culprit of transmission failures is the ATF used. Z1 was really bad. Most, if not, all transmissions that failed have been using Z1 ATF. Honda formulated a new ATF to replace it called DW1, which I'm running right now. A lot of people use Type-F ATF for quicker and snappier shifts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.