Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Acura MDX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently had the timing belt changed on the Acura MDX V6. Since it was changed it seems as though the engine does not have the power it did prior to the change. Is it possible the dealer has the belt off by a tooth or something?

I had this happen back in the mid 90s with a Mitsubishi truck. It had less power and I took it back three times before they discovered what had happened. They adjusted the belt and boom all the power was back.

Would the on board computer pick this problem up or try to adjust the settings? Has anyone seen this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
It’s very possible, These engines are zero clearance engines, anything more tan one tooth could be catastrophic. Mechanical out of time of the cam cannot be corrected by the ECU!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We recently had the timing belt changed on the Acura MDX V6. Since it was changed it seems as though the engine does not have the power it did prior to the change. Is it possible the dealer has the belt off by a tooth or something?

I had this happen back in the mid 90s with a Mitsubishi truck. It had less power and I took it back three times before they discovered what had happened. They adjusted the belt and boom all the power was back.

Would the on board computer pick this problem up or try to adjust the settings? Has anyone seen this?
Exactly right.
Same thing happened to me a long time ago on my old Accord. Non-professional guy had the belt off by one tooth and the symptoms were exactly the same.
Take it back and have them check it and fix it. Really hope it wasn't a dealer. (I ended up going to a different shop at my expense as I didn't trust the first guy any more.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Exactly right.
Same thing happened to me a long time ago on my old Accord. Non-professional guy had the belt off by one tooth and the symptoms were exactly the same.
Take it back and have them check it and fix it. Really hope it wasn't a dealer. (I ended up going to a different shop at my expense as I didn't trust the first guy any more.)

It is pretty easy to.inspect the belt position. You can take the top cam covers off and inspect the cam timing without doing a major disassembly.

What kind of dealer this work. work? I would think it was not a Honda dealer. Did you buy this from some other dealer and have it serviced there?

·
Registered
2012 Acura MDX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is pretty easy to.inspect the belt position. You can take the top cam covers off and inspect the cam timing without doing a major disassembly.

What kind of dealer this work. work? I would think it was not a Honda dealer. Did you buy this from some other dealer and have it serviced there?
You are correct in that this was not an Acura dealer. It was a Chevy Dealer Service Department.

·
Registered
2012 Acura MDX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I took the MDX back to the dealer and predictably they came back and said the timing is fine but I need to change the spark plugs for 500 bucks, and flush the fuel system for 100 bucks and some other stuff for another couple hundred bucks. I told them no thanks.

Can you guys tell me how to go about checking the timing belt/timing to be sure it is right? It shouldn't cost 500 bucks to change spark plugs should it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts