Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Looking for feedback and/or insight on an issue I am having with lowbeam headlights on 03 TL. When I turn on lights I never know if both low-beam are going to come on. Sometimes both operate fine, sometimes only the driver side comes on, sometimes only the passenger side, and sometimes neither side. All other lights are fully operable. I am told it could be the igniters of these high-voltage lamps. Any feedback would be a great help in troubleshooting the issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
It *could* be just about anything in the circuit. Usually in this case I'll recommend changing parts from one side to the other to identify the failed component by process of elimination. However in this case since both sides are intermittent, that won't apply.

The tricky thing with an intermittent issue is to catch it when it happens. Try to identify ambient factors such as weather and temperature, how long the car has been operating, time of day, etc.....to establish a pattern of failure. Then, you'll be able to replicate the condition and diagnose the issue much more easily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tim!

Thanks for your response to my plea for insight and knowledge. Much appreciated!

Lawrence

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can change the headlight bulbs yourself

Lawrence,
The owner’s manual recommends you do not attempt to change the headlight bulbs yourself because of the high voltage of the headlight igniters. Actually, they are fairly easy to change yourself, and the bulb and igniter are separate components, so no real danger of frying yourself. From an Acura dealer, the headlight bulbs (part only) are about $150 each. You can buy a Sylvania brand aftermarket bulb at an auto parts store for about $80 each. As stated by Tim, try replacing one side, then test to see if it solves your problem. If you want to tackle the bulb change yourself, start by disconnecting the battery terminals. The driver’s side takes more time to change because you must remove the battery to get to the back of the headlight. Also, you will need a special star head with center pin style screw driver to remove the bulb rear cover. I had to make two trips to the auto parts store to buy the correct size star bit with center pin. Once you remove the rear cover, it is similar to replacing a halogen headlight bulb. Remember, never touch the glass part of the new bulb. Even a small invisible smug on the glass bulb will reduce its life. I have a 1999 TL. The original headlight bulbs lasted till 255,000 miles. Toward the end of their life, they got dimmer and did not come on all the time, so I changed them both. I thought it was the switch, but it was the bulbs. I recently replaced one of the Sylvania replacement bulbs at 362,000 miles. The Sylvania bulb stopped working all at once.
Donald
Milwaukee, WI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts