Acura World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lowering springs will give you a stiffer car and more control over body roll, but if you're on stock (presumably old) shocks, they'll make for a very bouncy ride and poor handling on bumpy surfaces. And if you don't change out your stock shocks, they'll eventually give out because the stiff springs put extra stress on them. Once the shocks go, the car will ride like crap. But there are soft sets available that will not stress your shocks as much. I don't know what those brands are, though.

A coil-over kit is usually a matched set of springs and shocks... so the shocks will not be
over-stressed by the spring stiffness. They're usually adjustable for ride height and shock damping, too. If you buy it at a good place and the installer knows what he's doing, it'll ride better than stock while giving you much more control and better handling than just a set of lowering springs. Only downsides is possible suspension noise and rust on the grooves for the rings used to adjust height. If it's a good brand, the springs and shocks will probably live longer than your car will... as most of these sets are a hell of a lot stronger than stock suspensions... Unfortunately, they cost a freaking arm and a leg (say...$1100-$1450... or more for the more adjustable ones).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, it depends if you're looking for auto parts for racing or street use. I suggest lowering springs if you intend to use your car for daily street use.

If you don't want to worry about cost and adjustability and stiffer ride, then you may want to get some lowering springs. They can lower your car about 2.5" They have a higher spring rate, and are usually designed to be used with stock shocks, so the spring rates are usually not aggressive. I recommend a performance shock to go with lowering springs to make sure you get the maximum benefit and only have to do the labor once.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning to lower my car a few inches. Which would be better, lowering springs or coilovers?

How much are you willing to spend? And whta do you intend to use the car for? Street cars, I recommend lowering springs, they're cheaper and if u wana use the car for say drag racing, spend some cash on those coilovers. And u gotta choose among a whole range of brands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
and the coilovers? there are a lot of different brands in the market and they don't come cheap.

The Sleeve type is designed to be less expensive, but give you the flexibility to use the shocks of your choice.Many customers go with an adjustable performance shock or non adjustable which we don't recommend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drag coilovers are for those who strictly drag race. These come in either only the rear set, or all 4. However, the rears are set exceptionally stiff to keep the car from shifting weight to the rear wheels during launch. This is usually used on front wheel drive cars that want to keep the front wheels planted to the ground as much as possible to maintain traction.
:wavey:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, I guess I can go for sleeve type coilovers. Any manufacturers you can suggest? I did some research of coilovers under $1K and I bumped into Yellow Speed Racing Suspension. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok, I guess I can go for sleeve type coilovers. Any manufacturers you can suggest? I did some research of coilovers under $1K and I bumped into Yellow Speed Racing Suspension. Any thoughts?
Yellow Speed Racing? Hmm... For that cost under $1k, I think those coilovers work out as cheap or near enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
of course coilovers are better without a doubt. But realistically its what you can afford right now. what i did was got springs for a bit enjoyed them, then when i had more money to spend, i got some coilovers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think lowering springs are a pretty short-term solution unless you get replacement sport shocks with them. Coilovers for Acuras have really come down in price over the years. Lots of bargains out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you just want to lower your car lowering spring would be enough. But if you would use it for competition and sports coil over would be the best choice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts