Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm new here. Just wanted your opinion on something. I got new wheels in March. Lowenhart BR5's 19x8.5 and the top of my 2 back tires seem to rub the fender slightly when go over bumps or when I have people in the back. I'm sure I need to get some new stiffer springs to solve this problem. What do you suggest? I want something that doesn't effect the ride quality. Would I neccesarily have to get new shocks?

Any input would be appreciated.

check my page http://www.cardomain.com/id/lightbeing

·
Registered
16,149 Posts
What kind of offset do those wheels have? Once you let us know that we can give you alot more information.

It'll all come down to the fact that you *probably* bought wheels too wide without the proper offset for the TL. If you're rubbing at that height, that's not a good thing.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
yeah, i believe the offset is more important here....

and if you want a stiffer ride, actually the shocks contribute more than the springs

·
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The offset is 45. Once they started rubbing I took it back to the place I got them and they took a look at em. After about an hr the manager said that they look good and they shouldn't rub anymore. Guess what, they did!!!! I went back and asked them to call the Lowenhart dealer and they also said that it shouldn't rub. What the $#%!#$%$%^

·
Registered
16,149 Posts
LIGHTBEING said:
The offset is 45. Once they started rubbing I took it back to the place I got them and they took a look at em. After about an hr the manager said that they look good and they shouldn't rub anymore. Guess what, they did!!!! I went back and asked them to call the Lowenhart dealer and they also said that it shouldn't rub. What the $#%!#$%$%^
Yeah I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you spent a helluva lot of money for wheels that don't fit right. I can't figure out why the shop AND Lowenhart (Dazz?) would tell you that.

45mm is way too low for a 8.5 width. It would need to be AT LEAST like 55 and up for it to have a chance at fitting correctly without rubbage.

You have two options:

Keep the wheels and accept the rubbing, possibly putting on stiffer shocks but NEVER lowering it from it's stock height. So in other words, high ride height, sucky ride quality, but tight wheels.

OR, sell those wheels and get the proper sizes...possibly take up a case with the wheel shop letting them know you are not happy and expect them to take care of your issue.

Sorry bro...good taste in wheels though!

·
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I calculate what the offset should be? I need to know what I'm talking about when I go into their store cursing them All!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16,149 Posts
LIGHTBEING said:
How do I calculate what the offset should be? I need to know what I'm talking about when I go into their store cursing them All!!!!!!!!
Let's see....I would say at least 55. Someone else may correct me. Basically the higher the better. If you could get as close as possible to 60, that'd be best. You need to inquire first what offsets Lowenhart sells the BR5's in for the 8.5" width. If they offer something better than what you have, then you really have grounds for an arguement.

·
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have a good site to find this kinda info out? A lot of pages don't list the offsets.

Thanks for your help....I appreciate it.

It's hard being nice when I am furious!!!!!

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
kenS2000 said:
I can't figure out why the shop AND Lowenhart (Dazz?) would tell you that.
Me???? I have no ties with Lowenhart...must be thinking of someone else.

Anyways, I know when I had my Integra, I had the same problem. All I had to do was "roll" the fender. By this I mean the fender goes down toward the road, and then it would do a 90 degree turn into the wheel. You just have to bend that lip up and that gives you more clearance. I dont' know if the TL has this lip, as I've never had to look, but that could be a start. Just becareful when doing it...you can crack the paint and it'll chip (I did)

Brian had mentioned that you can just trim it up. DON'T DO THIS. That'll drastically reduce the strength of the fender/quater panel. Also, if you still rub after you cut it, the metal will be really sharp and cut your tire up. Just roll it up.

Also, when I had my cavalier, I had bought rims that were totally wrong size, offset, everything. I just went back and told them they f*cked up, and they gave new ones that fit. I only had to pay for the difference.

Hope this helps

·
end me
14,794 Posts
Not trimming the fender Dazz.... you'd be trimming the rear bumper... plastic.... it meets up with the fender at about the top of the wheel well radius... there is a tab there. Check it out. BTW I did this and am running on 18x8 w/ a 35 offset w/ NO problems.

·
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'm gonna try to get in contact with the Lowenhart company and see what they can do. If they won't do anything, then it is time to start trimming. I have to be able to lower my car atleast an 1 1/2" or so.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Brian said:
Not trimming the fender Dazz.... you'd be trimming the rear bumper... plastic.... it meets up with the fender at about the top of the wheel well radius... there is a tab there. Check it out. BTW I did this and am running on 18x8 w/ a 35 offset w/ NO problems.
My bad. I thought you were talking about the fender itself

·
Registered
737 Posts
i know some who is running a 8.5 inch rim w/a +36 offset...he has koni's and admits to occasional scrubbing even though it tucks...that is the whole reason why I sold my rims cuz scrubbing is the worst fucking shit after you spend all that money...Shyne:king:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.