Acura World banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
03TLTYPES said:
They put that tape on my sunroof yesterday, Wow what a huge difference... no more squeaks. Amazing how a little strip of tape can illiminate all that noise.
even more amazing why acura didn't do it right the first time ;)

yeah i have that tape and it took away every squeak

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
What tape?? :sqnteek: Squeak-Take-A-Way tape?? :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
yeah but it seems to lose its magical powers after a day or two

·
Registered
237 Posts
when its sliding open n close. its just not as quiet as when i first leave the dealer. like everyday it gets a lil more annoyin

·
Registered
237 Posts
they claimed that they regreased it but that went away after a night too

·
Registered
43 Posts
The "tape" is teflon with an adhesive backing. It keeps the rubber surround around the sunroof glass from sqeaking by eliminating the friction between the rubber and the body of the car. I asked the dealer why it was not installed by the factory since its a known defect, and he shrugged and agreed that it should.

He said that he sees almost all the Acuras come back for this upgrade, which is covered by the warranty and referred to in a service bulletin, but why Acura would want customers to have to be first annoyed by the sound and then equally inconvenienced bring the car back in to have this done when it takes about 1-2 minutes to put it on is beyond comprehension - especially when the brand name of the car is 'Acura' and the logo, a highly stylized "A", is really a calipers - all of which is supposed to conjure up images of precision and quality. Given all the rattles and squeaks the car has, (i have fixed all mine but there are nearly a dozen typical or so that are common to most all the TL owners; do a search here and on acura-tl.com and you will see what i mean if you happen to be a lucky one without all of them) Acura is actually a rather lame near-luxury brand for this reason IMO.

Seems to me that Acura is a poorly managed corporate entity.
(and NO, dont flame this post by adding your 2 cents about how your friends have Bimmers that have problems too (the all to common defensive response I see when ever someone knocks the quality of the TL). Comparing defects is not a justification for having them in the first place. In Acura's case, except for the tranny issue, all the rest of the negative stuff customers complain about is rattles that could have been easily rectified by the factory during production. A company that truly wanted to have the reputation for precision to match its nameplate would have gone the extra yard and produce a car that its owners did not have to fix after purchase. After all, the fixes for the rattles and sqeaks all involve the application of a little felt, grease or teflon to the offending area. Why shouldnt this be done at the factory? )

·
Registered
16,149 Posts
wow that's amazing all the squeeks you guys are having.

i had my 2000 for about 18 months and i had ONE squeek in the drivers seat...which they took care of promptly. other than that there were no others. :dunno:

·
traveling party animal
1,383 Posts
ken2000ac said:
wow that's amazing all the squeeks you guys are having.

i had my 2000 for about 18 months and i had ONE squeek in the drivers seat...which they took care of promptly. other than that there were no others. :dunno:
where exactly was it squeaking in your seat?

and what happend to your TL?

·
Registered
16,149 Posts
amuro129 said:

where exactly was it squeaking in your seat?

and what happend to your TL?
something underneath was loose...the dealership took care of it in 5 minutes, no sweat...free of charge. that's the only rattle i ever had.

NOW i'm sure it's got plenty of rattles...but that might be due to the fact that it's in about 50 pieces. :D totalled....ran under a tractor trailor at 60 mph.

I REALLY MISS MY TL. :bigcry:

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
ken2000ac said:

something underneath was loose...the dealership took care of it in 5 minutes, no sweat...free of charge. that's the only rattle i ever had.

NOW i'm sure it's got plenty of rattles...but that might be due to the fact that it's in about 50 pieces. :D totalled....ran under a tractor trailor at 60 mph.

how's the insurance going?

·
traveling party animal
1,383 Posts
ken2000ac said:

holy crap wtf were you doing? hope you came out in one piece.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.