Acura World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2017 MDX that I bought several months ago and just encountered this message on the dashboard last night. It sounds like just a reminder for routine scheduled maintenance, but just wanted to be sure that it's not indicative of any specific issue that was detected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read somewhere online that the B13 service includes the following:

• Oil and oil filter change.
  • Transmission fluid flush
  • Front transfer case oil change
  • Tire rotation
  • Routine checks for brake and belt wear, axle boots, fuel and brake lines, exhaust, and a general inspection for any issues.
Does this sound accurate? I'd rather not take it in to the Acura dealership for this service because I know they're going to charge a premium for these things especially since I can get the oil/filter changed anywhere and I just got new tires so I don't need the rotation. Any remaining items I could surely have done by any competent mechanic shop.

·
Registered
106 Posts
All service codes are displayed when the oil change is due at around 8000-9500 miles intervals under normal driving conditions. It is usually a single letter followed by a single or multiple number(s) for the type of service due. Changing the brake fluid every 3-4 years, wipers blades, or tire balance/alignment maintenance items do not have a maintenance code.

I purchase my own engine oil from Walmart (Mobil 1 full syn for $27) to take. I use their oil filter and labor to change out for about $31. I have lifetime rotation/balance at Discount Tires and do that every oil change. I also purchase my cabin/engine air filters on-line and it takes a few minutes to change them out for under $35 for both. I also have lifetime alignment at Firestone and double-check the alignment if I have:
  • new tires
  • suspension or brake work done
  • if I hit anything hard when driving/parking like a pothole or concrete stopper when parking
  • when I have a big trip planned and I haven't checked in a year.

I let Acura do the "3" service 100% because Acura/Honda transmission can be very sensitive and even fail if you use the wrong transmission fluid type or change the fluid out incorrectly. My dealership does either a 1X gravity drain and refill or 3X gravity drain, refill, run transmission through the gears and repeat 2 more times (3X exchanges more fluid). DO NOT do any transmission service that exchanges 100% of the fluid or suck out trans fluid as part of their service if you go with a local shop. The MDX transmission will drive +200,000 miles trouble free with Honda/Acura ATF and doing the 1X or 3X method every 30,000-60,000 miles.

Acura Service Codes:

Main CodeDescription
AReplace engine oil
BApplies to one or more of the following: Replace engine oil and filter, inspect brakes, check steering components, inspect suspension components, check driveshaft boots, check fluid levels, inspect exhaust system, inspect brake hoses or lines

Sub CodesDescription
1Rotate tires
2Replace air cleaner element, replace dust and pollen filter, inspect drive belt
3Replace transmission and transfer fluid
4Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt, inspect water pump and valve clearance
5Replace engine coolant
6Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped)

Reactions: PongGod

·
Administrator
2018 Acura RDX Tech, AWD
41 Posts
I read somewhere online that the B13 service includes the following:

• Oil and oil filter change.
  • Transmission fluid flush
  • Front transfer case oil change
  • Tire rotation
  • Routine checks for brake and belt wear, axle boots, fuel and brake lines, exhaust, and a general inspection for any issues.
Does this sound accurate? I'd rather not take it in to the Acura dealership for this service because I know they're going to charge a premium for these things especially since I can get the oil/filter changed anywhere and I just got new tires so I don't need the rotation. Any remaining items I could surely have done by any competent mechanic shop.
Here is the listing of the maintenance codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts