Acura World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok

my maintenance light just flashed (flashes for abuot 10 secs after starting car) to remind me that i was due for a scheduled maintenance with acura...

but i just reset it according the the car manual...and now it doesnt flash anymore..

is this what you guys do too?..or do you actually take it into a dealership and have them do stuff that I normally do like check oil, check transmission oil, check brakefluid...timing belt..spark plugs..

stuff like that....

is it recommended to take it to dealership everytime the maint req'd light flashes on?...

·
Registered
547 Posts
It is just a reminder or if you are really a dumb person take to the dealer and tell them hey something is wrong with my car the maint. req. light flashes what is broke???

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
I reset it after I get oil change or maintence, but it the light comes on not too long after I got oil change or maintence after I reset it, then I'll take it in....

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The maintenance light is nothing to worry about. It is just the dealer's way of ripping you off.:D Just reset it. But it will come back on again a few thousand miles later. It will flash at first then it will stay steady. Just reset it again. As long as you change your oil/filter regularly then you should be fine.

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
BlackShadow said:
The maintenance light is nothing to worry about. It is just the dealer's way of ripping you off.:D Just reset it. But it will come back on again a few thousand miles later. It will flash at first then it will stay steady. Just reset it again. As long as you change your oil/filter regularly then you should be fine.
But what if something is wrong?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
If something is wrong, the "check engine" light or appropriate dummy light will come on. Maintenance required just means "please take me to a dealer for an expensive regular oil change". :D

I personally use Mobil-1 and a Mobile-1 oil filter. It's worth the extra $$$ for the extra peace of mind.

evolaerok said:

But what something is wrong?:dunno:

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
autoxCLS said:
If something is wrong, the "check engine" light or appropriate dummy light will come on. Maintenance required just means "please take me to a dealer for an expensive regular oil change". :D

I personally use Mobil-1 and a Mobile-1 oil filter. It's worth the extra $$$ for the extra peace of mind.

I just made the switch to mobil 1 from redline...... saves me some money with same smoothness.... he he anyway when you had the tranny die on your CL, what light came on?

·
Registered
85 Posts
acuraTLao said:
ok

my maintenance light just flashed (flashes for abuot 10 secs after starting car) to remind me that i was due for a scheduled maintenance with acura...

but i just reset it according the the car manual...and now it doesnt flash anymore..

is this what you guys do too?..or do you actually take it into a dealership and have them do stuff that I normally do like check oil, check transmission oil, check brakefluid...timing belt..spark plugs..

stuff like that....

is it recommended to take it to dealership everytime the maint req'd light flashes on?...
That light will always start flashing 6,000 miles from when it was last reset. It stays on at 7,500 miles from when it was last reset.

It doesn't flash because there's a problem with the car. Just reset the thing and remember to follow your maintenance schedule.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Actually, I caught the car minorly slipping, and brought it immediately to the dealer. I babied it for a week before I dropped it off (took them 21 days to get my tranny in stock) cause I didn't want it to die on me in the middle of an intersection. :-/ My commute was 100% side streets, so that would have been bad.

I've heard that the D5 / SS lights flash and the VSA, just as Elegant mentioned. For me, the first manifestation of a problem was slippage from 2-3 in SS (I spend like 90-95% of my time in SS) under WOT only.

evolaerok said:

I just made the switch to mobil 1 from redline...... saves me some money with same smoothness.... he he anyway when you had the tranny die on your CL, what light came on?

·
magic number ==> 69
318 Posts
autoxCLS said:
Actually, I caught the car minorly slipping, and brought it immediately to the dealer. I babied it for a week before I dropped it off (took them 21 days to get my tranny in stock) cause I didn't want it to die on me in the middle of an intersection. :-/ My commute was 100% side streets, so that would have been bad.

I've heard that the D5 / SS lights flash and the VSA, just as Elegant mentioned. For me, the first manifestation of a problem was slippage from 2-3 in SS (I spend like 90-95% of my time in SS) under WOT only.

just for curiouse, what do you mean by D5/SS lights flash and the VSA, and also slippage from 2-3?? i just to understand incase I ran into it.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
69tl said:

just for curiouse, what do you mean by D5/SS lights flash and the VSA, and also slippage from 2-3?? i just to understand incase I ran into it.
well on the dash you will see the vsa light on (this is if you have the 02 model, otherwise it should be the tsc light). the d5 light will flash and also the ss light showing your gears will jump between gears.

of course even more noticeable would be gears slipping. like you change from 2nd to 3rd but then it slips back to 2nd, etc etc

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
69tl said:

Sorry - missed this post this morning. :-/

The only indications I got of my tranny dying were slippage from 2-3 under WOT at 7000 RPM. I never experienced a full failure. Previous transmission failures of other CL owners showed D5/SS flashing with VSA also flashing. Those were DEAD transmissions though - if that happens, you will KNOW it's dead. I was able to notice it in advance enough that they could order one for me and I only spent 2 weeks in a POS rental car.

Biggest way it showed itself for me was the minor slippage from 2-3 ... felt like the tires weren't biting, but it was at high RPM on a straight dry road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I've got a question -- I just got my transmission replaced and now the VSA light comes on (flashes) when I start out from a dead stop and squeal the tires -- I never saw this light with the old tranny! I brought it in to the dealer and went for a test drive and it happened several times. So, we took a different TL-S out and it did the same thing!

HERE'S THE QUESTION: Should the VSA light flash when the tires squeal during 'jack-rabbit' starts? (The light flashing isn't a problem, but the car then tries to adjust the throttle which causes the car to 'stall' for a second or two until the wheels catch and the vehicle gets stabilized)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
AcuraTLS2002 said:
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I've got a question -- I just got my transmission replaced and now the VSA light comes on (flashes) when I start out from a dead stop and squeal the tires -- I never saw this light with the old tranny! I brought it in to the dealer and went for a test drive and it happened several times. So, we took a different TL-S out and it did the same thing!

HERE'S THE QUESTION: Should the VSA light flash when the tires squeal during 'jack-rabbit' starts? (The light flashing isn't a problem, but the car then tries to adjust the throttle which causes the car to 'stall' for a second or two until the wheels catch and the vehicle gets stabilized)
That tells you the VSA is engaging cause it detects wheel slip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I knopw that - what I'm wondering is whether this is what my car should've been doing all along, or if it's 'too touchy' now. I don't need the throttle cutting out just because my wheels chirp!

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
whenever there is a slip on your wheels, the vsc SHOULD kick in, flashes, and help to brake/take away power/correct the movement. it's normal

1 - 20 of 25 Posts