Acura World banner

261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
9+ years = addiction
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
I started this post almost 10 years ago.... I finally traded my car in after 208,000 miles. Still running strong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2003 type s w/nav. 197,656 with original transmission. only problem has been the cd changer. bought on on craigslist, installed it yesterday and it operates perfectly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my 99 TL about 2.5 years ago. Instrument cluster showed 122k on it, car was absolutely perfect condition. I did not pay attention to the title when I signed it, and it was marked "mileage not required" due to being over 100k(we are in Minnesota) My father ran a carfax on it AFTER I purchased it, only to find out that there were service records showing the car a full 40k more miles than the odo showed. Obviously someone replaced the cluster at some point with a lower mileage one. As near as I can tell, my car is currently hovering right around 200k. I believe it is the original tranny in mine as well. I have been underneath during half shaft replacement, and do not see evidence of a tranny rebuild(blue bolt heads) Only tranny issue mine seems to have is a pretty good clunk dropping into reverse when cold. No shift flaring or odd changes of any kind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had leased a brand new 01 TL previously, and had some shift flaring going on with that car, on my way back to the dealership to turn the car in at the end of my lease period at 52k.

This tranny issue is a real bummer, there is obviously NO fix for the problem as the engineering of this particular tranny is off. Thats too bad, because it is without a doubt, one of the nicest cars I have ever driven. smooth, quick, and incredibly comfortable. There seems to be a bit LESS of a failure rate with the 4 spd in the 99, which is why I purchased a 99 to replace my 01.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two days ago bought my daughter a 2000 TL 3.2 with 1606XX miles. Hoping this lasts until she gets into college at the minimum. No idea on any history of this vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just picked up an 02 TL-S with 334k on it. Its been through 2 tranny's, last one at 300K and a couple timing belt changes. Other than the hazed headlight lens you wouldn't believe there are so many miles on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
230000 and 1st p0401 code

I owned this 99 since new, up until the last few years ran nothing but 91oct or better. Fuel prices led me to start running 89 and 87 octane fuel. Now I have a P0401 code. I have read that is a common problem and that there was even a recall (but I do not recall one) every 75000 miles or so. Did the use of premium fuel keep the passage clean and out of EGR trouble all those years? I plan on pulling the intake manifold and see how that looks this week. Any words of wisdom?

As for looks it looks new thanks to new paint and body work after hitting a deer at 4am doing 70mph, no air bag deployment, insurance totaled it but I took a reduced payment keep the car and had it fixed. It was all panel damage except the front radiator support had to be cut out and replaced. The deer got the the hood, ft fenders and rear fender.

I liked our 90 Legend better, but the 99 is a much better car IMO than the 2006 TL we have.

·
Jack This
2,318 Posts
2003 TL-S, purchased new in March 2002. Currently at 396k miles and tranny #5.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purchased my '99 TL w/o NAV in July, 1999. It just ticked over 201,000 miles. It has been generally reliable, but needed a transaxle rebuild at 109,000 miles. It has also been plagued with rust issues. In 2013, the power steering fluid hard lines rusted out and required front subframe removal to replace. I'm currently well into a DIY fuel tank replacement project due to slow fuel leaks from major rust along the front seam of the tank. That repair entails removing the exhaust pipe and rear subframe, a job that revealed rusty brake lines, fuel lines, and many bolts too rusty to remove. The original stainless exhaust system is fairly intact, but the converter and muffler flanges are too rusty to reuse. Both mufflers have enough rust to warrant replacement. I tried purchasing a replacement exhaust pipe from the converter to the mufflers, but Advance Auto cancelled the order after the manufacturer quoted them several months delivery. I'll keep looking for another aftermarket exhaust pipe. I had to disconnect the parking brake cables inside the car because the rear brake backing plates were too rusty to remove the other ends. Chicago winters take a toll on many parts exposed to road salt, snow, slush, etc. Surprisingly, most of the floor underside looks like new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2g tls miles accumulated

2003 TLs, white pearl with ebony trim, 216, 236 to date. almost 20,000 since purchase in june 2014. RMK Honda redesigned transmission installed by Acura in 2006 "mileage unknown" still operates like new. no issues whatsoever with this car. still operates better than any car i have ever owned. everything works properly and it's a pleasure to drive.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts