Acura World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so..... some of you might have heard my stories on installing the neuspeed upper tie bar.... so here's the recap and some funny add-on...

so the first time i bought a set of socket wrench.,.. and when i tried to unscrew the bolts, i found them ridiculous hard to turn, and what happened that afternoon was
1) i also stripped one bolt
2) i tore the whole socket wrench.....
3) made a deep cut on my finger....

well the story didn't stop there. so after my finger healed (boy was it painful) i used the method austin told me (check with him on details) and try to put on more torque to turn that damn bolt. well, it was a lot of torque, but then "pop", guess what........ the second set of wrench BROKE!!!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!!!!! damnit....... and the worst thing was the broken wrench FELL into the engine bay!!!!!

damn it took a while for me and my gf to find the broken parts with our flashlights..... thank god i found them otherwise i couldn't even drive my car @[email protected]

for the record this is the wrench i broke..... AGAIN.....

Attachments

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i gave up for now. i will try to get some larger and heavier and THICKER wrench this weekend and try again.......

and yes i have put on a lot of wd40 in attempt to loosen the bolts a bit...... sigh.......

if it still doesnt' work it's time for shops...... i might be installing my upcoming cai anyway

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
What kind of wrench was that? Craftsman are all forged - that looks cast.

Aso, why use a wrench instead of a socket? You can typically get better torque on a socket, and attach a breaker bar to a socket. A breaker bar is about a 2-3 foot long socket "wrench" that you use to put MASSIVE torque on a bolt.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
:whaa: I shouldn't laugh, but that pic is hysterical!

I feel your pain, I had a shitty time attempting to get my neuspeed on, but my problem was making it fit, not getting the bolts off.

Good luck!

·
Oracle11iGuru
249 Posts
If you've bought a Craftman's take it back to Sears. All Craftman''s tool come with a lifetime replacement warranty..

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
I just realized you said you used a socket first...

Try getting a breaker bar and use an impact wrench socket - the walls are quite a bit thicker, and they can withstand much more torque.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Henry,

dang.. that sux bro.. that'll teach you to try and do mods at night.. j/k :D

Snap-On ownz joo!

·
Registered
121 Posts
why didn't you use a torque wrench? i used that when i installed my struts, granted it was on there pretty good, we still managed to get those nuts off. good luck bro, or just go ask any garage if they can help you unscrew the bolts, shouldn't be that expensive.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm just curious what brand of wrench is that in the pic? I don't want to buy one of those by accident.

Yeah, go pneumatic, take it to a shop. Better that than busting up anymore digits.

-josh

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have a question. When your first wrench broke, did you buy the same wrench again? If so, that wasn't a smart move.:sqnteek: I agree with everyone else on the breaker bar.

BTW, nice carpet.:D

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Outlook said:
Damn Rominl!!! :eek: Talk about bad luck. U need forged tools or a shop with the hook up :p
tell me about it man. i guess this is really a record.... broke two diff kind of wrenches trying to get some bolts off my car..... man........

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
autoxCLS said:
What kind of wrench was that? Craftsman are all forged - that looks cast.

Aso, why use a wrench instead of a socket? You can typically get better torque on a socket, and attach a breaker bar to a socket. A breaker bar is about a 2-3 foot long socket "wrench" that you use to put MASSIVE torque on a bolt.
yup i also think socket wrench are better so i got it in the first place. but you should have seen my face when i literately TORE the socket apart..... that's priceless...... i was like, "what the hell??!?! i haven't even really started to use my full power @[email protected]"

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
copland007 said:
:whaa: I shouldn't laugh, but that pic is hysterical!

I feel your pain, I had a shitty time attempting to get my neuspeed on, but my problem was making it fit, not getting the bolts off.

Good luck!
don't worry, i wanna laugh too :) yeah at least you were one step ahead of me..... see, now i don't even have to worry about taking my bar to the garage yet ;)

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
evolaerok said:
That's why I have hookups to use my friends powertools..... hope the cut heals....:p
oh yeah it FINALLY healed.... in case you guys wonder, i got cut by another screws when my wrench broke coz' i was using quite a bit of force.... it was a deep cut..... we are talking about 3mm here @[email protected]

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2001TL4KCdude said:
If you've bought a Craftman's take it back to Sears. All Craftman''s tool come with a lifetime replacement warranty..
ok.. questions here.... i can only get craftman's from sears? or i can get them from places like home depot? i have heard good words about them so i will give them a try... thanks for the info

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
autoxCLS said:
I just realized you said you used a socket first...

Try getting a breaker bar and use an impact wrench socket - the walls are quite a bit thicker, and they can withstand much more torque.
yup i believe the wall is an issue here, need thicker wall :)

and well i dind't use a breaker bar, but i used the method austin told me, which is to use another wrench to lock in place with the current one and effectively increase the length by more than double :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts